This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to add JAVA Runtime Enviornment prerequesite

8 replies to this topic

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:28

Hi,

Can anyone please help me to add JAVA Runtime Environment prerequisite in installshield 2011 basic MSI project.

Thanks
Aditya

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:23

Did you launch the Prerequisite editor, read its documentation and open existing prerequisites to get an idea how it's working?
Then please post a more specific question at which step you have problems using the Prerequisite editor.

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:04

Thanks Stefan for great support.

In the Prerequisite editor, I have added the prq file for JRE. However, when I save the Prerequisite editor, I am not able to see the Prerequisite added in the installation files tab of Project Assistant.

Thanks
Aditya

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:25

Stefan, I also want application should only prompt for JRE if there is no JRE installed in the system. I don't want my setup will download the JRE for the user.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 18:02

If you don't want to install Java if it's missing, you don't need a prerequisite. Instead use System Search to look for Java, then add an error custom action to exit yur setup if its missing.

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:58

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your response.

I tried to do what you have suggested. I have created the system search, then I have created a Error Custom action, but I am not able to figure out in the custom action how to map the search with the custom action.

I am sorry, if I ask you silly question, I am just new to installshield, even new to setup design technology.

Thanks
Aditya

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 14:53

If you stored the result of the system search in a preoperty, e.g. JAVAFOUND then specify
Not JAVAFOUND
as condition for the custom action.

But sorry, I made this more complicated than necessary. In System Search assitiant you can select the option to use the result in an Install Condition. That's all you need (no custom action needed).

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:24

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

What you have suggested regarding that I found one article: http://www.installat...tall-condition/

I used the same steps which are mentioned in the article, still it is not working fine, my installer always throws the error no matters system has that particular software or not.

For your clarification my inputs to the wizard are as follows:

On "What do you want to find?" page. I have selected "Registry entry" from the list and click Next.

On the "How do you want to look for it?" page, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for the Registry Root, enter SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6 for the Registry Key

On the "What do you want to do with the value?" page, enter WSSVERSION for the property name, and click "Store the value in the property and use the property in an Install Condition". Then click Finish.

For the Condition, I have enter WSSVERSION>="1.6"

Am I doing something wrong? because I got error prompt from my installer if the JRE is still in the system with the same version sad.gif

Thanks
Aditya

aditya1685

aditya1685
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:31

Stefan. I got my error, it was silly mistake i was doing , I am putting wrong condition, It should be WSSVERSION<="1.6".

Thanks a lot Stefan. You are doing a great job here.
for other people who are facing similar kind of problem please refer this article:

http://www.installat...tall-condition/

really a good article smile.gif

Aditya