This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

localizing "Preparing to install..."

5 replies to this topic

gladely

gladely
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 16:56

I'm trying to convince the MSI package that its okay to use the local language for *all* of the strings it displays. We have embedded transforms which are automatically applied by following the instructions at
Embedded Language Transforms.

However, the text "Preparing to install..." still shows when running our package. While this text is on the screen the cancel button also displays the english "Cancel" text. Preparing to install is clearly in the msi.dll, strings table 2, section 9 for english and section 1041 for Japanese, our target locales. The text shows up 2 or three times during the first few seconds of running the MSI, interspersed with other Japanese text.

There are other messages which behave similarly, but I'm positive solving this one will solve the rest of them.

WiSumInf Shows:

4 Author = SomeAuthor
7 Template = Intel;1033,1041
9 Revision = {EADFBF51-CB44-4446-954B-16A76F3303FE}
12 Created = 6/7/2005 8:46:37 AM
13 Saved = 6/7/2005 8:46:37 AM
14 Pages = 100
15 Words = 2
18 Application = DNA2MSI
19 Security = 0

WiSubStg Shows:

Properties:

TRANSFORMS = rad8F16B.tmp.3082.mst;rad8F16B.tmp.1041.mst;

Where those file names are the files that were pushed into the substorage.

I've tried various combonations of Summary info Package Language and Product Language. I tried changing them before building each transform, I tried only changing them on the resulting package...

I dont think the key is with the summary info or the product language...

Is there more information I can provide?

Glade

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 13:22

I hope you don't find this to be rude: but I think you are overdoing things. If the message comes from msi.dll it is a lost case. In any case the message should be correct for different language versions of windows. I would forget this issue, and focus on having all localizable strings localized. Just my 2 cents.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Jojo

Jojo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 20:10

Changing the Template to 'Intel;1041' should help here, then the string appears translated. How to include support for two or more languages I don't know, as I've prepared localized MSI files with one language only so far...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:17

You can use language transforms to create multi-language setups

gladely

gladely
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 19:22

Certainly doing less than building language transforms can't be considered overkill. This feature is documented on this site, and has no caveats. I beg the question, is the experience I've outlined the exected result from this? If so that page should be updated with this caveat. Its misleading otherwise. I realize its not supported, but a not supported feature with no visible flaws is as good as supported. An unsupported feature that doesn't work right, no one uses.

Every string we add to the MSI package in english is localized in all of the languages we add a transform for. I'm only asking why are the strings that we did not add not localized?

My theory is that the process within the MSI components enters a sequence step that shows a screen which we don't have in our list. If thats true, then we probably need to associate that sequence with a dialogue which is localizing.

Yes, obviously I'm just starting with MSI, but we all start somewhere. Some of us inherit existing bugs. Pardon me if I don't redesign the components when it seems so close to working. =)

Thanks,

Keep the critisism coming!

Glade

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:23

Just to make sure I fully understand the problem:

- you are launching your setup by double clicking the .msi file, not using any setup.exe or similar launcher
- you are launching this msi on a Japanese meachine, with all locale settings/regional options in control panel set to Japanese
- you are still seeing the "preparing to install" message in English

BTW what's that 3082 transform?