This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade for Chained MSI project failed, 1603

13 replies to this topic

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:57

Dear all, I am new to InstallShield and now have a big problem. Please help.

This installshield project contains MSI components, each of them can be installed successfully. The old version install application - setup.exe, contains component A, B, C, D, and new Version contains A, D, E, F (remove some old components, add new ones). So I choose to make a major upgrade. Is it right?

In intallshield project, I changed package code, product code, product version, but leave upgrade unchanged. And then I made a new version setup.exe. In a fresh install, which means no old version installed previously, the new version can be installed successfully, which you can see from attachment 1.

When I have an old version installed, and then try to install the new one, the problem occurs: The installation reports success but actually it didn't uninstall new components, old version componts are still there. And I checked the log file ( I use Setup.exe /debuglog to get an debug log), it shows
...\Windows Client Package.msi" SETUPEXEDIR="D:\KT\Single Install\2.5\507\4" SETUPEXENAME="setup.exe"5-8-2010[09:18:35]: Launch result 1, exit code 1603
The whole log file is attachment 2.
I guess it means it didn't succesfully launch a new version setup.exe, but I did see the setup progross ( remove some files, add some files ), maybe it recalled old version reinstall, but why?

I searched for the reason of exit 1603, some posts suggested to check several things, like shortname registry , yes, mine is enabled, and suggested delete all TMP files. But sorry I can't delete all TMP/TEMP folders because mine is as large as 2GB. But I am sure the C driver has enough space.

Please help me. Really, really, thanks. I have been looking for an answer for a long time. I am all count on you now. Thaaaaaanks!!

Attached Files

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:58

The second attachment, fail to install a new version when old version installed.
thanks a lot!

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:27

You need to create an MSI log, not a setup.exe log. See http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm
Look for FindRelatedProducts - that's the action that looks for the old version.
Did you set up a Major Upgrade item under Releases > Upgrades?
You say this is a chained MSI project. Which of the chained MSIs fails to upgrade?

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:02

Thank you Stefan Krueger for your reply.

I read the link you provided, mine is a setup.exe, but I have tried
1) Enter /L*v C:\Your.log in the CmdLine= entry of Setup.ini to force a log file
2) Setup.exe /Verbose"C:\Your.log"

But logs can't created.

So I tried to modified registry key and it can generate a log.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="voicewarmup"
"Debug"=dword:00000007

However, this is not an important point. The important thing is in the log, I don't know from the log where I can't install a new version when a old version pre-installed. About your questions which MSIs are not updated, en, it seems that all the components are not updated. (I don't know whether the name Chained project is right for my installation. Mine installation is to install component A,B,C...D all together by call their individual setup file. )

The new log files are attached, can you tell me why I can't update the old version? or tell me how to analyze it? Thank you very much.

Attached Files

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:05

This is the log file when I tried to install the new version when the old version existed. Failed to update. But the setup.exe reports successful.

Attached Files

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:08

Sorry, I forgot to mention I created a Major update item in InstallShield project fule under upgrades (not release, and I checked there is no release->upgrade in 2010).

I looked the log file,

it says it found oldversion product

InstallShield 11:24:26: SAI NV Windows Client Package {E7DEB74F-7D07-416C-B6C3-ABACACFFFC37} 1033 2.4.2 ***Related***
MSI (s) (4C!0C) [11:24:26:760]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE property. Its value is 'Yes'.
InstallShield 11:24:26: ALLUSERS of related product {E7DEB74F-7D07-416C-B6C3-ABACACFFFC37} is = 1

But can you help me why the install new products failed? The result is: all old version components are still there, and new added components in new version is not installed. Thanks a lot!!!

PS: the product info and update info
Old version
Product: {E7DEB74F-7D07-416C-B6C3-ABACACFFFC37}
Update: {3009E6AE-3D79-4C0C-BA30-6578E85498C8}

New Version

Product:{780DE676-A88A-4B3A-8BCF-51FF2E1C5E91}
Update: {3009E6AE-3D79-4C0C-BA30-6578E85498C8}

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 15:21

According to the log, it's removing a lot of files (see entries - Executing op: FileRemove). Are you saying that these file aren't actually removed? What exactly are the symptoms?

Also can you please again clarify the architecture of your setup. You seems to be mixing the terms component, feature, chained setup.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:17

Hi Stefan Krueger, thanks.
I just happened to find the reason. Let me introduce the structure of setup first.

we have products A, B, C, D.

The old version setup is to install A, B, C, D, so people don't need to download each of them and install them one by one.

And in the new version setup, since we have product E and F, and we decided to decommision product B and C, so the new setup is to install A, D, E, F.
So this is the structure.l

I find the reason it: some one made a mistake in the product version of the product D in new version, because product D failed to update, the whole setup failed.

Now the upgrade is OK, but there's still a problem. Product B was not removed in the new version, it's still there, and you need to remove it manually by clicking remove **** in program file menu. product code for B is: {A5A616A9-A299-49BF-B463-7B2A3CB33C69},
please help take a look. Really appreciate.

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 15:04

It looks like the chainer should remove it, not sure why it doesn't.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:34

Thank you all the same.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:50

Stefan Krueger,
Thank you very much for your help. This problem is solved because I find from log files that it's caused by one of the msis to install has a lower product version.
Let me say it more clearly, setup.exe is from version 1.0 to 2.0, but in setup.exe,
product x in setup.exe 1.0 is version 5.0, while in setup.exe 2.0 is version 4.0. This caused a upgrade failure.

I reopen this problem because I am now have two questions:

1, every time I make a new build of setup.exe, I need to manually update product code by selecting chained msi of product (A, B, C, ...), in InstallShield project "Release" ->"Chained MSI Packages"
Is there any way to do it automatically?

2, the output file setup.exe, has a wrong file version, you can see the file version by right click setup.exe, tap "version", there are two file version information. The first one on the top is "16.0.0.400", which I guess its InstallShield 2010 engine verison something... By the way, I am using InstallShield 2010. I have changed the copy right version by selecting use my own copy right. But I didn't find a place to modify the file version? Could you please help.

Thank you very much.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:42

Could anyone please give me a help? Thank you very much.

sai21

sai21
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:36

Up again... Thanks a lot.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:16

I don't know the answer but maybe start a new thread for the new question instead of upping this thread.