This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

CA launching other .msi package (MSDE2000)

9 replies to this topic

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 15:14

Because of the problems with MSDE2000 merge modules I decided to install MSDE2000 by adding custom action Type 23 (launch another .msi package stored on the source media).
I have put this CA in the Execute sequence after the MigrateFeatureStates standard action.
Installation finished OK, but I noticed that in the Add/Remove programs window SQL Server is not mentioned - just my app. When I uninstalled my app the SQL server did not uninstall. I can not uninstall It by calling the .msi file which installed it with the option /x - I got message that Administrator settings don't allow me to do this.
What did I done wrong? Should there be at the uninstallation time the CA for uninstalling the .msi package which was installed at the installation time?

gowen

gowen
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 10:08

Instead of using a type 23 CA use 34 - Run an executable from the directory table - as follows

Type: 34
Source: SystemFolder
Target: msiexec.exe /i "[SOURCEDIR]dir1\prog1.msi"

This will ensure that you get a separate entry in the uninstall dialog.

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 12:55

I used the CA type 34, but now I got the error 2744 (exe failed...):
"Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 13:14

I just find out, that secondary installation using MSIEXEC.EXE is possible only in the user interface sequence not in the execute sequence... :-((

gowen

gowen
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 14:05

Try changing the type to 1058 which adds deferred execution.  I have just done a quick test and it seems to work, even in a silent install.

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 00:14

So I took all your advice and even found a section in the InstallShield help that describes this process “Using Msiexec.exe to Launch a Second Windows Installer Setup” but when I try to defer the action I get a Internal Error 2762 = Cannot write script record. Transaction not started. Probably have a custom action in the wrong place. Also, if I do not defer the action, on a clean machine…no MDAC…the MSDE install installs MDAC and then wants to reboot, after reboot the main installation does not continue. And…the MSDE installation starts at the first dialog of the InstallShield so there is no way to tie MSDE to a feature so the user can decide whether to install MSDE.

So basically, I have found no way to install MSDE through my main setup…can’t use the merge modules because I get a 1309 - Error Reading File error on compressed setup, (haven’t tried uncompressed – guess that is next but since my setup is downloaded…probably not going to work) can’t call a custom action to call another msi file because it will not put an entry in Add/Remove programs and when the main program is uninstalled, it doesn’t uninstall MSDE like it should…can’t call a exe (Msiexec) except in the User Interface-Cost Finalize which is pointless for the reasons described above…apparently MS doesn’t want people to install MSDE 2000 and InstallShield or the InstallSite are not going to help anyone get it installed…there is no information on either site…I have posted several times about this and no one seems to respond so…and I’m guessing here…nobody is installing MSDE from within their setup. True? Don’t get me wrong…I think the InstallSite is great…love it…but when it comes to MSDE…there is just no help, information, nothing here.

If anyone has had any success installing MSDE I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:45

I tried running MSIEXEC with CA type 1058 once, but with no success and because I did not want to put more efforts into solving this endless problem I have made a compromise:
I have put the CA running MSIEXEC into UI sequence and I will write a worning about potential problems to the users. My setup is not compressed so the users can find MSDE on the CD and run it separately.
When I got the fixed merge modules I will than put them into setup instead of the autonomous MSDE setup. But the time when I will get fixed merge modules is still uncertain... (see http://www.installsi...rum1....2)<p>If You need to provide the setup through the download maybe You can provide the MSDE separately... We have to make compromises all the time when we are working with MS...

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:48

New info in forum:
Windows Installer (MSI) : Merge Modules
topic:
Using MSDE 2000 Merge Modules

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 00:08

Just an FYI

I just used the merge modules, uncompressed, and then used the free InstallShield Package for Web to compress the setup...this cut my size in half...and so I am happy.

Thanks