This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade problem

2 replies to this topic

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 19:29

Hi Guys,

I am facing an urgent issue and I need some help,

I have a product (Basic-MSI installation) which has been shipped out to the end users and now we now want to send out the 1.1 version which is a Major Upgrade to 1.0 version.

To handle the upgrade, I did the following (based on MS documents):
1) I changed the Product Code
2) The Upgrade Code is the same as 1.0
3) The new version is 1.1.0
4) I have added a Major Upgrade item to the Upgrades to completely remove the old version and install the new one.

Now I can upgrade my product without any problem BUT how can I prevent the version 1.0 be installed on top of the 1.1?

I have looked at the “Preventing an Old Package from Installing Over a Newer Version” http://msdn2.microso...y/aa370840.aspx but my 1.0 installation is out there and I cannot change it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 19:54

If your old version is already out there, there's essentially nothing you can do to prevent it from installing side by side to your newer version (I guess you don't have any Upgrade entry in the old version, so it won't perform a "Major Downgrade"). Note that file versioning rules still apply so the new files won't be overwritten by the older files.

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 20:06

Thanks Stefan,

I do not have any Upgrade entry in the old version and this is what I suspected, Just wanted to re-confirm.

Anyway, if anybody knows a work-around on this, let me know.

-M. Nouryan