This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem with patch package

1 reply to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:49

Hi,

I have been stuck up with a problem for quite some time now.
We have a product with a specific version which has been installed at the customer end.
Some of the binaries which are installed as part of this product are part of certain merge modules which are included in the installer project.

The problem now is that the a key file of a component belonging to a merge module has been removed but the component has been left out as it is(i.e its a dummy component which does not contain any files or registry entries). This is because when we try to build a patch package using the old msi and the new msi(the new msi has been built with the new merge module which has a dummy component), the install shield IDE imposes certain restrictions which prevent the total deletion of a component. Deletion of a component is classified as a major upgrade and hence is not permitted in a patch package inline with windows installer best practices.

The problem i am facing is that when i try to patch my product which is installed on a drive other than the C:\ drive(i.e E:\ drive), a particular dll is patched both in the installed location(E:\[installdir]) as well as it is copied to C:\ drive under the same folder structure which is present in the installed location on E:\ drive.
This particular dll was earlier part of the merge module component and has been removed in the new msi from the merge module.

Example: Installed location is E:\abc. When the patch package is run, the dll is copied to C:\abc as well as E:\abc.

I would like to know the reason as to why this is happening and the solution to get rid of the problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 14:54

You cannot remove the key file of a component in a Small or Minor Update. Put the file back in (you could use a 1 byte dummy file to save space), add a condition of 0 to the component (so that it will never be installed) and mark the component as transitive ("reevaluate condition").