This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating Windows Services using Properties

4 replies to this topic

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:06

Hello

I'm trying to create a Windows Service using Installshield 2010.

This was easy using the Component Wizard until I was told that the Service Name had to be configurable by the user.

I thought I would be able to prompt the user for the Service Name, set a Property and then use the Property in the Component Wizard, Service Name field. (same for the Display Name and Description).

Unfortunately the Wizard doesn't accept square brackets, so effectively I can't use my property.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks in advance

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 13:55

Hello Me

I think I can just directly edit the MSI database and put the properties in that way?

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 14:55

Hi again

That seems to work, I've noticed that my Windows Service is not uninstalled when i uninstall my application (this happens whether I've used Properties or not to set it up)

Is that correct? or should it remove the Service on uninstall?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 15:40

I think you need to make sure to set the propertiy to the same value during uninstall (property values are not preserved automatically).

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:58

Hi I think my problem was that I had not created a ControlService component to delete my Service on uninstall.

I'm just making the move from Installscript to MSI so I guess I'm going to be making quite a few of these daft errors.

Thanks for your help