This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaging Complex Applications

2 replies to this topic

nerram

nerram
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:31

The application is complex because it is a collection of 4 setup.exes. One of which contains an embedded msi. My question is there any best practices for repackaging complex applications like this? At my company we have a ploicy of not repackaging vendor msi's. However would there be anargument for doing that here.....

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:40

This sounds quite complicated since it contains 4 setups, plus an embedded msi, but it really depends on who created the setups, and how complicated each one is.

huckey

huckey
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:56

I would try to put a reboot in between each .exe.

As sometimes repackaging software does not detect file changes well if you have 2 .exe's which install similar files or newer versions of those files.

The reboot between each will allow run once or after reboot functions to run ensuring the all updates are done correctly.

unforunately this is a tough one. however i just did one with 13 setups including service packs etc and it worked like a charm.

mind you you tend to get more junk to clean out..

same old story though theres always more than one thing to think of.