This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

actions integrated into UI flow?

8 replies to this topic

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 15:18

the documentation i've read (i've just started with WI), seems to say that the sequence my WI install should follow is
1) get user input with UI
2) run custom actions
3) install files

what i'm wondering is if it's possible to run a standard or custom action while in the middle of the UI flow.  for example, if the data entered by the user into a UI dialog needs validation, then I'd like to run an action to validate the data before the next dialog is shown, so that if there's a problem with the data, the user is warned and returned to the same data-entry dialog.

is this possible?  does this go against recommended practices?  

we're currently using only ORCA and VB/VC++ for  setup authoring.

thank you
CM

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 22:22

forget it, found the answer.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 22:23

That's perfectly okay. You shouldn't use custom actions that modify the target system in the user interface sequence, but you can use custom actions to validate user input, set properties or paths, select features etc.

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 02:21

thank you for the clarification

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 21:52

How did you validate the user input using a CA?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 06:45

The content of the edit field is stored in a property. You can use a dll to verify this string.

kc

kc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 08:50

How do i push the original dialog box back to the user to correct the edit box. I designed a dialog called MyDialog and call it using MsiDoAction(hMSI, "MyDialog"); But the dialog dint appears. Pls help. Thanks

KC

kc

kc
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 08:51

How do i push the original dialog box back to the user to correct the edit box. I designed a dialog called MyDialog and call it using MsiDoAction(hMSI, "MyDialog"); But the dialog dint appears. Pls help. Thanks

KC