This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Setup dialog size description incorrect

8 replies to this topic

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 19:49

I created a default Basic MSI installation that installs one file over 1 MB in size. The only other change from the default was to compress the files on release. Yet when the Custom Setup appears (when reinstalling) and the one and only feature is selected, the description says, "This feature requires 0KB on your hard drive". What needs to be done to have it report the correct number of KBs?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:58

If the file is already installaed and your setup runs in maintenance mode, then 0 KB is correct - however the wroding is a bit misleading. What it means is that it needs 0 KB additional disk space.
If you uncheck the box, the text should change to "This feature frees up 1 MB on your hard drive."

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 17:41

Thanks very much for your reply. Very helpful. I might add that the installer says 0KB necessary if it thinks that the items are installed whether they really are or not. Thus if the item(s) are not installed and the string is "0 KB required", that is a warning that the feature will NOT be installed. One can work around this by setting it to not install, reinstalling, and then reinstalling again with it set to install.

tnand53

tnand53
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 13:51

I am doing a major upgrade. I have a feaure A and 2 subfeature A1 and A2. The problem is when it reaches the Feature Description in custom dialog box. It displays "This feature frees up 1 MB on your hard drive". instead of "This feature requires 10KB on yoour Hard Drive".

1. What could be the reason for the same. 

2. On What situation, does it display "This feature frees up 1 MB on your hard drive" and on what situations it displays "This feature requires 10KB on your Hard Drive". 

Can anyone please explain me.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:29

For example: Feature A used to be 10 MB in the old version and is 9 MB in the new version.

If you install the new version on a clean system it will tell you that it requires 9 MB.

If you install the new version on a system that has the old version installed it will free 1 MB.

tnand53

tnand53
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 18:02

Thanks a lot Stefan. Is this behavior documented anywhere?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 21:10

There are some hints in documentation topics "File Costing" and "FileCost Action".

tnand53

tnand53
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:36

IN basic MSI project i have a feature A. sub feature A1 and A2. In version 1.0 in feature desc its says 24MB size. When i do a fresh install of v1.1 ; it says A1 feature size is 34MB . But when i am doing a major upgarde : v1.1 feature A1 : "it says that his feature frees up 1 MB on your hard drive" .

I may not sure why its happening as feature size in v1.1 the size has increased.

tnand53

tnand53
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:51

Can anyone please help me on same the reason for such a behaviour

Edited by tnand53, 26 February 2014 - 05:09.