This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install with changing file

1 reply to this topic

antomack

antomack
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:53

Firstly I don't have much experience with Installshield so please bear with me.

I need to distribute an application which consists of the actual application and a backend database specific to each individual user. There are about 150 users involved for whom the application is common but the database is specific to each user.

I'm wondering is it possible to build a package that will include all details but will allow for easy replacement of the user database without having to rebuild the package 150 times.

Ideally I'd like to have a package that can be written to a CD and allow for the provision of the relevant user database in a folder external to the actual package that the package will install it from.

Not sure if this is even possible but hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. Maybe this sort of configuration is not available in version 6 but is in a later version, if so please let me know.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 14:26

The scenario you describe is certainly possible, but given your lack of InstallShield experience, I'm not exactly sure where to begin with my explanation.

Thinking about it some though, I would say you should first build a normal setup for your application.

Next I would tweak the OnFirstUIBefore event (i.e. the setup wizard that's run _BEFORE_ the standard installation files are copied) to include an additional dialog such as AskPath or SdAskDestPath to have the user choose the appropriate database--starting at like SRCDISK ^ "Databases" (where SRCDISK should be the driver letter of the CD-ROM setup). You could then double check for the presence of a specific file via Is(FILE_EXISTS, "<SelectedPath>\\<SelectedFilename>").

Finally, I would tweak the OnFirstUIAfter event (i.e. the setup wizard that's run _AFTER_ standard installation files are copied) to copy the previously selected database via CopyFile.

Well I hope it helps then and that you understand my suggestion. Also, for more information on these function calls, definitely check out the included InstallShield help file.
user posted image