This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade does not update files..

3 replies to this topic

amit.lele

amit.lele
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:34

Hi,

I am using Installshield 12 and working on a MSI Basic project and trying to do a minor upgrade.

When I run the upgrade MSI, I noticed that none of the files are being updated on the target system.

I have made sure of the following -
1. Changed the Package Code
2. Changed the Product Version.
3. Under Media->Upgrades - Added a minor upgrade and referenced the previous version of the setup file.
4. There are some .NET DLL dependencies that are added dynmically when the ism file is build. To make sure that the component codes do not change for these dependencies, I have added a reference to the previous package under Releases->Previous Package.
5. I have made sure that the update rules at the following location (http://www.installsi...msi/updates.htm) are followed -
a) Follow the rules for changing or keeping the ProductCode, ProductVersion and UpgradeCode, depending of the type of update you are creating. Always change the package code - .
Package code and Product version changed for minor upgrade

cool.gif Do not move sub features. You can add new features and sub features.
I am not adding any new features or sub-features.

c) Do not move componentes to other features.
Not moving any components between features

d) If you are using the Windows Installer runtime version 1.x:
Do not add components to existing features. If you want to add a component, you must put it in a new feature. This can be an invisible sub feature of an existing feature. To install this new feature set the ADDLOCAL property to the name of the new feature. Note that you cannot combine this with REINSTALL=ALL. Instead use REINSTALL=ExistingFeature1,ExistingFeature2 ADDLOCAL=NewFeature.
If you are using the Windows Installer runtime version 2.0 or above:
You can add components to existing features. If you want to add a new feature you can synchronize the installation state of a new child feature with its parent feature by setting its Remote Installation property to "Favor Parent" and its Required property to yes.

We are using the following command line -
msiexec /i "MgmtStudio\CVgMgmtStudio.msi" REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL="Management_Studio_Files" /l*vx "c:\CVgMgmtStudio_install.log"

e) Do not change component codes.
I am not changing any component codes. The Upgrading and Patching Validation does not show any errors when it compares the old setup with the new setup in Installshield 12.

f) Do not change the name of the key file of a component.
not changing any key file of a component.

g) You can modify the contents of a component (add, remove or modify files, registry keys and shortcuts), but only if that component is not shared across features.
Dlls component contents are changing but that is expected since we are doing an upgrade.

h) If you remove a file or registry key from a component, you must populate the RemoveFile or RemoveRegistry table respectively to delete the orphaned resource.
I am not doing anything of this sort.

i) Do not change the name of the .msi file.
Not changing the of the msi file

I noticed the InstallValidate action in the log records this -

MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Doing action: InstallValidate
Action 22:08:09: InstallValidate. Validating install
Action start 22:08:09: InstallValidate.
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: Management_Studio_Files; Installed: Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: HelpFiles; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: Master_db; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: MasterDB_EnableDBMail; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: MasterDB_GrantViewServerState; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: Metadata_db; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: Security_db; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:09:313]: Feature: msdb_EnableBillingStatisticsJob; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

Also, the copying new files action records this -

Action 22:08:11: InstallFiles. Copying new files
Action start 22:08:11: InstallFiles.
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'ctcacheservices.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'ctconfigservices.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'ctdataservices.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'ctdiagnostics.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'cts.ags.web.common.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'cts.ags.web.ui.controls.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (24:14) [22:08:11:329]: The file represented by File table key 'ctsqlrepository.dll' has no eligible binary patches

I am attaching a compressed/zip copy of the verbose logging generated by the install. Can someone please take a look the log and help me resolve my issue with upgrading the target system with a minor upgrade package?

Thank you in advance!!

Amit

Attached Files

ort_ali

ort_ali
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 14:45

Hi,

I have the same problem.
Did you find a solution foe this problem ?

Thanks

Ali

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:25

Regarding Amit's post: I guess that Management_Studio_Files wasn't installed as "advertised" in the first place, but installed locally. If a feature is incorrectly deteced as being advertised, in almost every case I've seen so far this was the result of a violation of the component rules, which is also indicated by a SELMGR message in the log. However, in Amit's case, I couldn't find a SELMGR entry, and therefore I don't have an explanation for the problem. I did notice however that the command line which is passed from the client side to the server side is very long and gets truncated. All public properties (property names in upper case) are included in this command lline, and by default InstallShield creates all directory properties as public. Amit could try to reduce the length of the command line by removing unused Directory table entries and by changing some of them to lower or mixed case, to see if that solves the problem.

To Ali: as a first step, please generate a verbose log file and search for any SELMGR entries.

Mayank

Mayank
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:09

I had the similar issue, the reason was component was marked as msidbComponentAttributesNeverOverwrite changed the attribute in the upgraded image and than everything worked

Thanks,
Mayank