This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error Messages/Info on SetupCompleteSuccess

4 replies to this topic

SeanH

SeanH
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 16:49

Is there ANY way to take information determined during deferred mode, and use it in the GUI later on? Such as
a) When an error occurs, being able to report to the user what happened or
b) Telling the user in the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog about something that occurred during install.

I can think of nothing, and if neither of these are possible, I think that's a greivous error on MS's part, as far as GUI goes.

Edited by SeanH, 21 September 2005 - 16:50.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 20:13

In deferred CAs you cannot even pass information to the execute sequence... If you have immediate CAs scheduled after InstallFinalize at least you can run access the installer and set properties etc. for other CAs later in the sequence. However, these changes are not passed to the UI sequence. Actually there's one exception that I know of: MsiSetMode for scheduling a reboot. One way or another the UI picks up this request and asks for a reboot after termination.

You could try modifying the database, but don't set your hopes too high.

SeanH

SeanH
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:45

would you agree that this is kind of bad? I mean, our QA department is complaining (rightfully so) that if something fails in the install, and we know what the problem was, the user should get something other than "sorry the install didn't work. goodbye"

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 16:42

Most programs I know show messages in a separate popup window, not in the main window. Windows Installer supports that concept.
Use MsiProcessMessage() - and not MessageBox() - to show the error message. You should use MsiProcessMessage so the message won't be shown in completely silent installs, and to get the message logged.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 15:38

I have never tried anything like this, but did you try to write to the registry in deferred mode? I suppose you could write a list of "Success" or "Failure" for each custom action? Again, I have never tried it. If it does work you could read this list from a custom action in the user interface sequence...
Regards
-Stein Åsmul