This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Per User Instalation

1 reply to this topic

AlexLX

AlexLX
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:40

Hi,

I have a tool setup which is suppossed to be installed as per user installation.However if one user say A(non admin) installs the setup and log off and second user say B(non admin) logs in,user B is able to launch the software by clicking on the exe present at the location where user A installed.
1. User B is not able to see the presence of the tool in ARP though.(which i think is the correct behavior as far as per user is concerned)

2. User B is not able to install the tool at the same location which was used by User A..(which i think is the correct behavior as far as per user is concerned)

3. User B is successfully able to launch the tool which was installed by user A.(I am not sure if its a correct behavior)

are the above mentioned behavior are the signs of per user installation?
I think(correct me if I am wrong) in case of query number 3, the toll should allow itself to be launched only by User A and not user B.

Thanks,
Alex

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:11

While the application isn't installed (i.e. registered) in user B's context, he might still be able to launch it by double clicking the exe. The application might not work properly in this case because some registry data etc. is missing if that was only installed in user A's per-user hive.
This is expected behaviour.

You could however set permissions on the exe (or the whole folder) so that only user A has read or execute permissions.

Or you could use software restriction policies to control who can run which application.