This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1721 when trying to install MySQL

15 replies to this topic

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:54

Hi,

I have this problem since 2 days and cannot figure out why.
I want to create an installation which will install (1) My application (2) JRE and (3) MySQL
I did a Basic MSI Project with Install Shield Dev. 8.

(1) is working nice.
I used CA with a property variable poiting to the right exe file for (2) and (3).
(2) works fine, with (3) I have:
Error 1721: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support or package vendor.

I am sure that my property variable is correct. I was wondering if during installation something is enabled/disabled which causes the installation of MySQL not to work. Manually when I launch the installation it works...

Any idea?

Thx,
stoss

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:25

Some suggestions:
- make sure your custom action (3) is in user interface sequence
- try to run the MySQL setup directly to see if it works at all
- generate a log file to get more information about the problem

Which operating system are you on, and what is the type and parameters of yopur custom action (3)

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:41

Hi Stefan,

Thx for ur quick answer.
About ur suggestions:
- make sure your custom action (3) is in user interface sequence
==>
My custom action is used by a dialog box, DoAction on a button. The condition
is "1".
This dialog box is inserted in Sequence: User Interface after ExecuteAction
(2) which is in the same dialog box (other button) works fine...
<==

-try to run the MySQL setup directly to see if it works at all
==>
Tried it...it works ! Tried also to do the operations with different
versions of MySQL and always the same error
<==

-generate a log file to get more information about the problem
==>
How can I do that?
<==

--
I am on W2K Pro, Administration rights

Type and params of my CA:
Executable Property: MYSQL_INSTALLATION_EXE (which is the complete
path of the installation file of mysql)
Command Line:
Return Processing: Sunchroneous (Check ExitCode)
In-Script Execution: Immediate Execution
Executions Scheduling: Always Execute
Use 64 Bit Scripting: No
MSI Type Number: 50

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:54

How to create a log: http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm

Change the CA to ignore the return code. Does it work then?
Also: is MySQL installed after your setup aborted?

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 15:24

I turned the CA to ignore the error code and now I don't have any error
but nothing is passing.
MySQL installation is not lauched and nothing is installed on my HD.

Note: I tried on 2 different comps and I have the same problem.

I did put a notepad.exe in the path where is the setup.exe of mysql installation
and changed the property variable to point to notepad.exe and this works. So I guess my path and the whole think is correct.....but setup.exe of mysql doesn't want to be launched !!!! Don't understand why...

Did enable the logging options but I can't see anything which can help me.

Something else when doing my project (Basic MSI Project) I used the wizard of InstallShield...just 4 u to know in case...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 21:56

Something seems to prevent the two setups from running simultaneously. Can you try this: launch an MSI based setup. While the Welcome dialog is on the screen, launch the MySQL setup (manually). Does that work? If yes, does the same work when the Finish dialog of the first setup is on the screen?
Can you post the log lines, from the starting of the CA until the failure?

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 11:02

Hi Stephan,

So I did the operations u suggested to know:
I try to launch the MySQL installation manually when my Install Shield setup is under process (on the welcome dialog, on my dialog from which I push the buttons to launch the installations, on the final dialog) and manually it works sad.gif

Here is the log when clicking on the button which launch normally the MySQL installation:
Action start 11:19:12: LaunchMySQLInstallation.
Info 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: LaunchMySQLInstallation, location: C:\INTENT\MySQL\SETUP.EXE, command:
Action ended 11:19:13: LaunchMySQLInstallation. Return value 1.

What I will do is a new project with just this custom action to see what it does...
can't understand what can be the problem.

Anyway thx for ur help so far...

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 11:25

Did new project with just this CA and again same problem....kinda lost, don't understand I am not the first person who tries to launch a MySQL installation from my InstallShield setup...
Is that possible that MySQL installShield setup was defined in a way to prevent other setups to launch it??

Don't have any idea...will post my issue on MySQL forum or something to see what they say...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 15:38

Yes it might be a problem in the way the MySQL setup was designed. Do you know what tool was used to create the MySQL setup? (See the version info of setup.exe)
One more thing you can try: insert the custom action directly in the UI seqence instead of launching it from a button.

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 16:35

InstallShield® Version 5.10.130.0
Does that help u in a way?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 07:25

Add /SMS to the command line when you call the MySQL setup.
With InstallShield 5 the setup.exe only extracts the real setup engine and support files and then dies. So your main setup continues (maybe even deletes the MySQL setup files) while the MySQL setup is still running. /SMS will tell setip.exe to wait until the MySQL installation is completed.

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:52

Hi Stefan,

What I did is that instead of using the CA with an exe file, I did implement
functions which uses LaunchAppAndWait function. Did CAs which uses these
install scripts.

When inserting my dialog box with the DoAction in the User Interface Sequence after ISStartup
it works fine, (JRE AND MySQL installation r launched).
If I insert my dialog box after ExecuteAction it doesn't work anymore...

Any idea?

Thx

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 12:05

That's because the InstallScript engine is shut down at the end of the Execute sequence. Yuo would have to re-start it, or avoid InstallScript.

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 13:45

Ok thx Stefan,

Now an other question as I told you I have my main application JRE and MySQL to install and what I did is a dialog box (we call it D1) from where u can launch MySQL and JRE. I want to extend this dialog box to be able to Launch the installation of my main application too.

D1 ==> (Op1) User choose to install Main application ==> Normal Installation is launched ==> back to D1
==> (Op2) User choose to install JRE ==> CA running JRE setup is launched ==> back to D1
==> (Op3) User choose to install MySQL ==> CA running MySQL setup is launched ==> back to D1

The Main application is the ONLY feature of my Basic MSI project.

D1 is blocked when OpX is under process. My question is how can I choose to proceed on Op1 on a new "child" Dialog Box ! ( I used spawnDialog on a push button but it doesn't seem doing what I want). This New child dialog Box will follow the Sequence initially established by my MSI project...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 14:29

I don't understand what you are trying to do here. Did you get the MySQL to install properly in the meantime?

If you are looking for a sort of front end to act as an "umbrella" or wrapper for these setups, you should do it outside of msi. See the tools at http://www.installsi...tt_cdbrowse.htm

stoss

stoss
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:20

Hi Stefan, I used installScript to run MySQL and it works...can't find why a CA launching an EXE doesn't work...anyway thx for the help and time!!!!