This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install into existing folder?

1 reply to this topic

SpatialMinds

SpatialMinds
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 23:23

I have 50 separate installers that each need to install data files into the same location. The installers aren't ordered, that is a customer can buy one installer one day and another on another day but the application needs all of the files dropped into the same folder.

On the first install I'd prefer to have the user select the INSTALLDIR like normal. This value would then get stored into a registry key as a part of the install. In subsequent installs I'd like the installer to detect that INSTALLDIR has already been set and not prompt the user to select it.

Right now, I have an Installshield 10.5 Basic MSI project. I have a custom search which is picking up the path from the registery where the first installer dropped the files and storing it in the FILEDIR variable. I'm having trouble figuring out how to specify that INSTALLDIR should be FILEDIR if FILEDIR isn't empty. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 17:36

Add a custom action, either "set a property" scheduled before CostInitialize, or "Set a directory" scheduled after CostFinalize, in both sequences. The property/directory to set is INSTALLDIR, the value is [FILEDIR] and the condition is FILEDIR. Thus the action is only executed if FILEDIR isn't empty.