This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Please insert disk error

12 replies to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2001 - 01:42

Hi,

I get this error, "Please insert disk 1" during installation. As the file copying process started I got a dialog that prompted me for a disk 1. I
clicked OK and repeatedly got the dialog. Then i removed and re-inserted the same cd and it went fine.

Can anyone please tell me the reason and how to fix this one?

Thanks,
rbrinda.

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 04:31

I have the same trouble.

This problem only manifests on a CD, not on the network images we used in development.

I have an msi that is upgrading a previous one.  I used InstallShield 1.52 to generate both packages.  I use the command line "REINSTALLMODE=vamus REINSTALL=All" for the upgrade and a custom action that resets those values for brand new clients.  On machines that have the first package installed, trying to install the second package, I get this prompt.

A log of the install (using /L*v) shows that at the point of prompt, the machine is verifying the accessibility of a file we want to place in System32.  It is looking for the MSI package on the root of the CD, but the MSI is in a subfolder of the CD

On another CD I placed a copy of the MSI on the root of the CD, even though I didn't think I needed it there, as the MSI we invoke is still on a subfolder of the CD.  Same dialog, but the log reports trouble when verifying accessibility to some other file.

Now, a confusing bit :)  It works on my machine!  The original CD displays the fault on the machine I use to develop the MSI, a Win2kPro.  The new CD, with the copy of the MSI installs the products with no complaints on my machine.  I take it to another Win2kPro or an NT 4 SP6 and the fault reappears.

And, after reading this, when I got the prompt I ejected and reinserted the CD, but the dialog did not go away.

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 December 2001 - 01:09

Your's looks more complex than mine!!  Actually, i didnt get this error with upgrade install. I got the error while i installed a new version of the product when there was a beta version of the product already installed in the target machine. I uninstalled that beta version and installed the new version that gave me this error. But i assume it is because of the following reason.
    I forgot to change the Package code with each build. So I guess windows installer loads the cached msi file that results with this error when it tries to resolve the source again using ResolveSource() action.

But i am not too sure if changing the package code each time with a new build/release will fix this error. Please try this one and let me know if it works for you.
Anyone has any better idea?

Thanks.

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2001 - 04:35

I think what happened is that you and I both tripped up on the same fault in the Windows Installer but for diferent reasons.  There seems to be a bug in the 1.x versions of the installer that when the disk label on the CD isn't "DISK1" and the installer sevice has to check files, it gets lost.  You tripped it by trying to compare cached versions against the CD version.  I tripped it by invalidating the cached copy and having it try to look at the CD.  Or something.  It seems this is a popular topic in the newsgroups.  The long-term resolution seems to be to upgrade the Installer to version 2 on the target machine.

I've been over that Package Code thing already.  My build process has steps to change the code when it should.  Each distinct generation of the MSI needs a new package code.  You would keep the same package code during development, but as soon as the MSI went to the field, it identifies the package.  If you generate a new package that has any differences that you want in the field, you have to at least change the package code.

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 20:39

Thanks for the reply ! Another question: Is your build process changing the package code by editing the .msi file using the MSI API or is there any other way to accomplish this? It would be great if you could let me know because this is something i would love to do with my product install too.

Thanks in advance.

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 20:59

I am not editing the MSI, I am editing the ISWI project.  Given the (fully-qualified) ISWI project file name strInstallFile and VB6:
   Dim prjInstall As New ISWiProject
   prjInstall.OpenProject (strInstallFile)

Dim newCode As String
   newCode = "{" + GetGUID() + "}"
   prjInstall.PackageCode = newCode

prjInstall.SaveProject

Where GetGUID is a function we found in
   © 2000 Gus Molina
   From HOWTO: Use CoCreateGUID API to Generate a GUID with VB
   Oct. 2000 MSDN CD

I imagine I could also write a simple SQL statement using the MSI hooks, if I wanted to spend the time to read the table specs, instead of using the InstallShield hooks.

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 17:34

Hi
Some of my end users also get this error (please insert disk 1.  )  - how exactly did you solve/remove it?

Thanking You in anticipation
Christmas regards,
Thomas Eskesen

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 17:53

0) Verify that the package code changes at each cut
1) If the MSI is located in a sub-folder off the root of the CD, copy it to the root of the CD
2) Distribute MSI version 2, not version 1x

0) is probably supposed to be common sense.  2) covers some known bugs about  MSI 1x.  1) is magic I discovered while examining the logs from adding a "/L *v" command-line parameter to a failing install.

HTH

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 08:31

Hi
Thanx!!!

0) If I change the package code - the user needs to uninstall the previous version before installing the new on - everytime (we make a lot of builds for download/update)....
1) We have our installation on 9 languages on the same CD,... that is 9 MSI files with the same name in different directories:.....
2) How do I distribute MSI ver. 2?
(I'm using ISWI 2.03)

What does HTH mean...?
Regards,
Thomas

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 16:41

0) See article at http://www.installsi...Upgrading.html, with a view to "Upgrade is Re-install"  I think if the MSI has any material change between releases, the package code MUST change.

1) Yeah, it's a hack, and I don't like it.  If you can find something better, please let me know!  If I find something better, I'll put it here.

2)  See article at http://support.insta...=Q105501<p>Hope This Helps (HTH)

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 10:09

Hi

Thank You!!!

I dont understand #2; just updating the setup.exe and not the two files instmsi*.exe will not (?) update the Windows installer version?!??!
After trying this one of our PC's got msi 2.0 and another (not on the internet) got version 1.20!
Is the MSI 2.0 downloaded from the internet?

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Eskesen

Thomas Eskesen
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 15:46

Ok I got this info from Stefan Krueger:

If you don't update instmsi, it can't update msi to 2.0.
The new setup.exe is required because the old one didn't even attempt to update MSI on Win2000.
The change in setup.ini will cause setup.exe to run instmsia.exe or instmsiw.exe if the currently installed MSI version is less than 2.0.2600.1. If your instmsi?.exe is version 1.2 it will only install version 1.2, not 2.0. As far as I know this setup.exe cannot download the msi engine from the internet.
However some other setup package may have updated the windows installer files to version 2.0. Did you verify the msi version before running your setup?
Are you sure your instmsi?.exe is version 1.2 not 2.0?
Remember that msi 2.0 requires SP6 on NT4. So if one machine is a NT4 with SP < 6 the instmsiw.exe would fail (maybe silently), and thus leave the msi version unchanged.

A slightly improved method is described in http://www.installsi...110/default.htm

There is a (freeware) setup.exe for IPWI that can download the instmsi file from the web at http://www.installsi...en/msi/tips.htm under Launchers and Runtime Installers -> Install MSI 2.0 Runtime with IPWI

Kind regards,
Thomas

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 17:37

Glad you got it figured.  Sorry if I added any confusion with the link to the IS KB article.  I thought it talked about the instmsi?.exe.

I am using IPWI 1.52 so I had to hack a litlle; take some risk.  Since you use 2.x, I knew you had more support than I, and I was trying to aim you at an easier path than mine.