This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to hook into the install

4 replies to this topic

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:15

I have created an installscript project using InstallShield 2010. I gather info during the install process in the method "OnFirstUIBefore()". But when the actual install of the software is happening (i.e. when you see a progress bar and it is copying over installation files) I would like to do some actions based on the user input.

My 2 questions are:

1 - How do I hook into that actual part of the install process?

2 - If any issues arise, how would I then undo what I have done? Can I store somewhere what custom things I have done?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:51

Well you don't typically hook into the actual installation portion like that.

Instead, you would add your custom actions to the OnFirstUIAfter() event, so you already know that the files themselves have installed successfully.
user posted image

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:30

Ah ok, thanks.

So, in my custom action how would I throw an error that will do any rollback? So that all the files are removed, and the install is cancelled?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:43

There are no custom actions and no rollback in InstallScript projects, these are MSI functioniality.

You can use Feature event handlers (see help topic for details) which get called before or after a specified feature is installed.

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:33

Thanks.