This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Service Start/Stop

5 replies to this topic

VijayVenkat

VijayVenkat
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:43

I created BASIC MSI Package, in which added component services-> to start Windows service, The service is installed but not starting, After Starting Services, I get a Error: 1920.Service BlackfishSQL (BlackfishSQL) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

While creating MSI package, the service Added on Organization->Components-> Services.

This does'nt looks like Admin privileage/permission issues, Even on Administror account I get same error msg. Alternatively I can able to start/stop the same BlackfishSQL service manually on commond line on Standard/normal user account.

NOTE: BlackfishSQL Service Installed successfully, but unable to start/stop.
Please suggest with the steps.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:16

Can you start the service from control panel (not command line)?
Does the service start when you run the setupo a second time (repair mode or modify mode with no changes)?

VijayVenkat

VijayVenkat
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:25

1. Yes.. I can Start/Stop Service manually on Control Panel->Services.
2. NO... The Installation is not 100% completed due to this Service start/stop error, hence I don't get option to re-run setup on Modify/Repair option(s).

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 19:06

So it doesn't look like a dependency issue then. Maybe a permission problem? Run ProcessMonitor from SysInternals to see any access errors.

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 13:00

Hi,

I think if we start the service with Admin login ( Log on as type in services) then possibly this will resolve the issue. You can provid the specifi details via Direct editor

VijayVenkat

VijayVenkat
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:50

Still No Success! i have the same issue. Kindly provide step-by-step instructions how can Install Windows Service (MyService.exe) during MSI package installation and that needs to be started automatically.

I see after configuring StartServices under Component->Advanced settings, the service(MyService) get installed on my system through MSI installation, I see MySevice under service control panel. But when MSI try to start the service (I can see MSI status "Start Services"). But finallay I get privileage issues posted on this topic.

Kindly provide me step-by-step to Install any Windows service and start automatically. When I start this service manually on my test machine installs successfully.

Alternatively, I createa bat file, in which I have command to install and start this service automatically, which is also working fine with same user credentials.

But through MSI it does not work! I copied.

Below provided my sbs.bat create to install/start my service.

The below command to install and to start service:
---------------------------------------------------------
"c:\blackfish\bsqlserver.exe" -install
net start blackfishsql

The below command to uninstall and to stop service:
---------------------------------------------------------
net stop blackfishsql
"c:\blackfish\bsqlserver.exe" -remove

NOTE: Zip file Attached which contains 2 bat files, Error Msg, Configuration screen-shot(s) on this topic, Please provide a step to start this service through MSI, either configuring under components service/custom actions and custom actions to run this attached BAT file.

Vijay Venkat.

Attached Files

Edited by VijayVenkat, 17 April 2011 - 04:24.