This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade to SQL Express 2005 SP2

1 reply to this topic

lam1278

lam1278
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 19:31

HELP!!!!

I would like to replace my existing prerequisite of "SQL Express 2005" with "SQL Express 2005 SP2"... so I created a little script that runs if the user doesn't have a minimum of "9.00.3042.00" in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion[CurrentVersion] registry value...

So, if key doesn't exist, install SQLEXPR as clean install, but if key does exist and user has version less than minimum, I want to perform an upgrade on the command line, but I can't figure out the following:

1. How do I get some verbose logging so I know what the deal is. The setup just dies after it says scanning configuration changes

2. What am I missing in my command line:

SQLEXPR32.exe /qb UPGRADE=SQL_ENGINE INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="mypassword"'

I also tried just:

SQLEXPR32.exe /qb UPGRADE=SQL_ENGINE INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS

Please help or point me in the right direction... I have scanned all sorts of msdn blogs, Acresso community and can't find anything.

Thanks,
Lynn

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:16

It makes life simpler to bypass the EXEs and use the MSIs (with transforms to apply any changes/customisations).

The MSIs I typically install for SSEE are, in this order:

sqlwriter.msi
sqlsupport.msi
sqlncli.msi
sqlrun_sql.msi

In the SP2 flavour I used, there's no UPGRADE property so specifying that as a command line argument would have no effect. The Upgrade *table*, OTOH, has what looks like the appropriate row to upgrade vanilla SSEE to SP2 but, as I don't have a non-SP2 copy to compare against, I couldn't say for certain if the Upgrade Code is correct.

Presuming the code is correct, using the MSI should just upgrade to SP2 so I wouldn't worry about checking for existing installations.

Lastly, verbose logging can be added either by enabling it via Group Policy (not a good idea, unless this is on a test/dev machine, as it's an "all or nothing" policy) or from the command line:

CODE
MSIExec /i SQLRUN_SQL.MSI /L*VX %TEMP%\SQLRUN_SQL.LOG [other args]

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.