This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Vista Problem

5 replies to this topic

RaviMudhol

RaviMudhol
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 14:54

Hi everybody,

I am a newbie to IS12. I am unable to register a exe and dll's on Vista developed by vs2005 during installation.
I have tried registering with selfregister,it failed. Then I had also tried by using a custom action dll
with deffered execution in System context. Then also it failed.
But when vc++ redistributable is installed, Installation goes through fine. I had made a seperate setup for merge modules
installed intially,then Installing our exe, it went through fine. Is there any way to install to merge modules and our exe,
in one go. Pls throw some light on it.

Thanks in advance.

Ravi Mudhol.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 18:04

Yes, you can add merge modules in the redistributables view.

RaviMudhol

RaviMudhol
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:28

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I had tested with the merge modules in the redistributable view. It fails. Is bootstrapper kind of thing will work out. If yes, how to create the bootstrapper. or if two phase installations will do, i.e installing the merge modules initially and our dlls and exe at later will work out, Then, how to create two phase installations.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi Mudhol.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:11

For the bootstrapper, you can create a setup for the redistributables, and create a custom prerequisite from it.

But this should work without a bootstrapper. We should try to find out why your merge module approach fails. Did you try to extract COM information, either once when you add the component (you can also use the refresh function), or "at build"?
When you say you tried with selfregister, how exactly did you do it?
When you tried with regsvr32.exe (which in general you shouldn't) when (which type of custom action, which scheduling, where in the sequence) did you try it?
Are the failing exe and dlls Win32 files, or assemblies? Do they have cross-dependencies, do they require a specific registration order?
A verbose log of the install might also help to understand what's going on.

I just noticed that you mentioned Vista. Does the same setupwork on XP but fail on Vista? Can you install those c++ redists on Vista at all, pr are they included, and protected by Windows File Protection? (This would not display any error but should log the failure). Did you run validation (MSI validation and Vista validation) on your setup? Maybe the merge modules are authored bad.
In your test with pre-installing the redists, did you copy them manually, or did you use an msi package with the merge modules? (Trying to understand whether sequence is the problem, or if the merge modules just don't work on Vista)

RaviMudhol

RaviMudhol
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:36

Thanks Stefan,
You had given lots of Information to analyse and think about, and I feel it will take time for me to get to know all the things and analyse.

My observations are,
The setup works fine in xp, But it fails in Vista.

On IS12
The Custom Action which registers is a dll, and is of Msi Type number 1025, Scheduling is "Deffered Excection in System Context".
and Sequence which I am following is InstallValidate, InstallInitialize, Install Files,RegisterFiles(My Custom Action)
and InstallFinalize.

>In your test with pre-installing the redists, did you copy them manually, or did you use an msi package with the merge modules?
On Vista?

I had Installed Vc++ Redistributable for VS2005 ,then Installed my setup, it went through fine.

The second option I had tried is, that I had created an Msi with the Merge modules added to Redistributable View and Installed it without errors.
Then I tried with my setup, it also went through fine, i.e registration goes through fine.

> When you say you tried with selfregister, how exactly did you do it?

The way I do selfregister is: right click the file, go to properties and check the option self Register.
Or Adding the entries on Selfreg table in direct editor. Let me know if there is any other way of doing self Registeration.

Also I was wondering what "Msi Type No" indicates?

> Did you run validation (MSI validation and Vista validation) on your setup? Maybe the merge modules are authored bad.

Does this mean that dlls are corrupted or not signed, I had found
dll's like atl80.dll not signed message while building the Ism, is that what you mean?

Thanks and Regards,

Ravi Mudhol.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 18:53

Please try this: Go to Tools > Options > Preferences tab > Self registration. Switch from InstallShield self registration to Windows Instalelr self registration and see if that helps. (You need to rebuild the setup)

"not signed" messages for Microsoft files shouldn't cause this problem, but yes, that's the type of validation I meant, and it might show other problems.