This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Meaning "." in Directory table

4 replies to this topic

coluhandria

coluhandria
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 15:56

Hello!
I was wondering about the meaning or the function of the "." in the Directory table.
Microsoft says:
For a non-root source directory, a period (.) entered in the DefaultDir column indicates that the directory should be located in its parent directory without a subdirectory.

But if I look to the sample of the SystemFolder Property ProgramFilesFolder this is registered in the DefaultDir column like .:Progra~1|Program Files then first, there is no name defined for the target directory and as well, when I look at the description and especially the examples of Microsoft under http://msdn.microsof...452(VS.85).aspx this folder should not even be created for a normal installation but an administrative installation. Did I understand something wrong? Probably... ;-)

Thanks for your answer!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 13:37

I think there's no need to set the target directory since it's a system directory which is set automatically at runtime. Hence the .

Right of the : however is the source location (the subdirectory on your setup CD where the program files will be located).

coluhandria

coluhandria
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:32

Thx very much for you answer!

And two last questions: When does it make sense to give different names to a target directory and a source directory or what would be a benefit of it?

Then I was wondering about the SourceDir and TARGETDIR folder properties. They appear in the Directory table on the same row. But if you look closer they don't really have a relation to each other as the other entries that build a folder structure. Means that SourceDir can be resolved to D:\Installationpackages\MSI\
while TARGETDIR resolves to C:\.
So why do they appear in the same entry. As I know SourceDir is resolved by the action ResolveSource Action. So is it probably just to be good to be on one line because of programming specific reasons..?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:08

And two last questions: When does it make sense to give different names to a target directory and a source directory or what would be a benefit of it?

For instance, your application my support two languages, so you have two different files with identical names, and only one of them will be installed depending on the language. But their destination directory (INSTALLDIR) is the same. Here you need to specify different source directories so the files don't overwrite each other when you create your installation CD.

So why do they appear in the same entry. As I know SourceDir is resolved by the action ResolveSource Action. So is it probably just to be good to be on one line because of programming specific reasons..?
Yes, it's just how the root of the Directoty table has to be defined.

coluhandria

coluhandria
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:36

Okay I understand, that was very helpful. Thxs!