This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding INSTALLDIR to PATH variable

5 replies to this topic

Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 13:51

Hello!

I would like to add the directory the user selected to install the files of our application to the PATH environment variable. I used [INSTALLDIR] as value on the environment variables page of InstallShield Express 4. This works fine on XP and 2000 but not on 98 and ME. 98 and ME don't seem to like the possible space inside [INSTALLDIR]. Putting quotes around [INSTALLDIR] in the value field did not work. What can I do? Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind Regards!

Lars

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 00:10

Hi,

I have found that for 95/98/ME Windows Installer can be quite buggy depending on the syntax used on the
path statement. In my testing putting quotes around the value did work, do your testing on the failing "autoexec.bat" until you know what you'd like there... Should then retest on at least the likely variations of setting path statements.

---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 00:46

Hello dbareis!

Thank you very much for your reply! You gave me hope that it *can* be done with ISE 4.0! biggrin.gif To clarify my results with the quotes around [INSTALLDIR]: Not even does it not work under 98/ME, with the quotes it stops working under 2000/XP too! Under 98/ME I indeed checked the autoexec.bat and the setup leaves it completely untouched. Without the quotes it adds the install path but the space(s) prevent the set command from working properly. I know it is a a lot to ask but could you please supply me with your working settings for the path environment variable? I have spend many hours trying different settings without any success. sad.gif Thank very much in advance!

Kind regards!

Lars

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 06:57

Just before you get too excited what I have done is straight Windows Installer not Instrall Shield there could be some InstallShield features getting in the way?

Bye
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:03

A more robust solution for 95/98 would be to convert the path to it's short equivalent. Unfortunately there's no built in functionality in MSI for this, so you would have to write a custom action, e.g. VBScript or DLL.
As far as I know Windows Me does NOT store PATH in autoexec.bat, but in registry.

Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 23:04

Hello!

After an email exchange with InstallShield it is now clear that InstallShield Express is unable to add the install directory to the path variable. sad.gif The very same feature I upgraded for. mad.gif The only way to do it is adding a DLL to the setup that is checking the Windows version and making the changes to the registry (in NT, 2000 or XP) or the autoexec.bat (in 98 or ME). Thank you all for your help! smile.gif

Kind regards

Lars