This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

upgrading old applications

1 reply to this topic

vladb

vladb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 22:22

Here's my problem.

There are very old versions of my application out there, and their setup was done with installshield 3. I need to build a setup for the new version of the same application with DevStudio 9.0 which will also allow for updating all the different parts of the old applications. This means checking a lot of things, upgrading databases, services, COM objects, and other files. Furthermore, i'd like it to be easier in the future to upgrade the application and the installation project.

What's the best way to do this? Would it be easier to build a different program to update the very old versions instead, since their setup doesn't create proper program IDs and GUIDs anyways?

Thanks for any ideas!

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 00:00

I had to achieve this with my install.

We added code into our new setup to keep all of the setting needed from the old install, and then we uninstalled the old install silently with a custom action.

A lot depends on how complicated your old install is and how much information you need to keep from it. It might even be possible to just grab the *details* from the old install, like service name, ini file data etc, stored this in a temporary location, and then let your new install read and use these values.

To make you new install upgradeable, you will need to use the upgrade table. Install Shield provides a wizard (if you are using that) or the msi sdk provides details on this. I would just run a few tests with a simple msi so you get a handle on how new upgrades work.