This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

any explanantion for this puzzle :)

8 replies to this topic

tutus

tutus
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 18:17

(installshield 11.5 didn't register my dll corectly)
Hi,
I build my first setup project using Installshield 11.5, the setup projct includes a dll located on the LAN (mapped drive).

The first time I built my first setup project, I did it with a bad dll (not binary compatible)
By accident, I installed that setup (that included the bad non binary compatible dll) on the same machine where installshield is located.

Then I corrected my dll by replacing it with the good one on the network (in the mapped drive) that I included in the setup project (using delete, add, set key file).

Then I rebuilt the setup project again, but this time with the good dll version (always refered from the network).

When I installed the setup on my production machine, the setup didn t register the dll correctly in the registery.

I had to correct the corrected dll manually on the production server to get my application working.

Do u have any explanantion for this puzzle (may be a puzzle for me anyway)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 20:35

Did you uninstall the package with the bad dll first? Do you get the correct file, just not registered?

tutus

tutus
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:48

I guess I got the correct file, since just regestring the good dll on the production server resolved the problem.
Also, unregistering the dll from the Install shield machine and rebuilding the setup program fixed the problem and generated the good setup pogram that helped installed the good dll on the production registered and runing.
Do u have an explanantion for that?
1/What i didn t get, why did unregistering the dll from the installshield machine itself fixed the problem although the setup itself refers to the dll on the network rather that corrupt dll on the install shield machine.
One more question pls:
2/why did instashild take the bad dll on the machine itself rather than the dll that i added in setup design and whitch was located on the network.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:54

InstallShield extracts the COM information from the file on your development machine in order to store it in the .msi file (Class table etc.). For that purpose it registers the file on the dev machine and monitors the registry entries that get created.

tutus

tutus
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 18:46

my development machine is different from the machine where installshield is installed.
The dlls are located remotely on the LAN in a fixed location.
Thank you

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 21:39

With "development machine" I meant the machibe on which you create the setup.

tutus

tutus
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 23:18

i never created a setup b4:)
how do i add the dll files: just in setup design, I create new features and add the dlls then set key
and how do i add the exe file: the same way: in setup design then add the dll file then click set key file
do we have to use set key or not or not. how about features.
is this the right way.
thank u.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 15:25

Yes, all DLLs and EXEs should be key files.

tutus

tutus
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:17

thank you stefan