This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

BIG PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP.

8 replies to this topic

Christian0110

Christian0110
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 15:20

I have the following BIG problem:

I have to projects. The first one is the fullversion of my product and the second one is the update of my product.

So the problem is. If on the Target system the product is installed and I run a update, the new files will not be updated. During the copying process the files are copied, but there are not updated. I rebooted the system, but the files on the maschine are the old ones. Only files that are not on the system yet, will be copied. I have tried everthing to solve the problem but I found no solution for this problem. !!

Please help me. For me it is very important, beacuse my customer what for her updates !!!

Please....

Kind regards

Christian

Christof

Christof
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 12:48

Hi,
first you should check if you selected "Never Overwrite" to NO.
Set this property to No to do the following:
- if the file version on the target system is newer the file is not overwritten!
- if the version being installed is newer the file is overwritten.
So you must check if you changed your internal number then it should work.

Greetings
Christof

Christian0110

Christian0110
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 20:18

Thanks for your reply.

What kind of internal Number. I khnow many kinds of internal numbers. The Package Code, the Upgrade Code and the Prodct Code. And then very Compnent has a internal number !!!! Must I change every kind of number ??? The function "never overwritte i have checked and it stands on "NO".

But the problem is the same at thre moment !!

Please Help !!

Christian 0110

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 07:17

in order to update files they must have a higher version number. The log file will show you whether some files are not being overwritten because of version comparison.

Christian0110

Christian0110
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 09:54

My Problem is, that many files that I will update have no version. The different between the files is only the size or the date. By IS5.5 it was no problem to update the files by date or size !!

Have I any other chance to overwritte the files. I know, it will go on, if I delete first the old files and than copyied the new ones, but it is dangerius and need so many time for each update !!!

Please Help

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 11:02

Versionless files will be overwritten if they haven't been changed since installation. See file versioning rules in MSI help for details.
Would deleting them really take too long?
You could make these files "companion files" so they will get replaced if the associated component (e.g. your main executable) is overwritten. This is also documented in MSI help.

Christian0110

Christian0110
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 11:55

Thanks Stefan,

what means to make "companion files". I don't understand this and by searching the MSI Help i don't find anything. Can you describe it for me ??

No the deleting take too long time, the list of deleting files so long and by every update i were other files that will be deleted or owerwritte.

Kind regards

Christain

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 19:50

Open msi.chm, go to the Index tab and type "Companion Files"

houdeveloper18

houdeveloper18
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 23:09

Christian0110,
can you try to force the update by re-caches the local msi package, by using REINSTALL=ALL with REINSTALLMODE= "vomus"? I think by default it's only "omus" which does not re-cache the package. Depend on how you run update, you'll need to insert a custom action there to ask it reinstall with "v" option included.