This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Benutzerdefinierte Aktionen

1 reply to this topic

asSiDeluxE!

asSiDeluxE!
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:46

Hello,

I'm a total Installshield Newbie and I have some questions from which I hope that I get them answered here in this forum.
I have built a setup for our software using InstallShield Developer 8.0 SP1.

If the setup is executed on a machine where an older version of the same software is already installed a message pops up asking the user whether he wants to update the software. If 'Yes' is clicked the update starts and fails. That's what I expected becouse I cant remeber having created an update routine. Is it possible to deactivate this question?

The problem is, that you have to update the database of the software (it's a Windows Service btw) to make the database suitable for the newer version of the service. Now I would like to procced in a manner like this:
1st I want to determine whether an older version of the service is installed. If yes, stop the service, deinstall it, patch the database, install the new version of the service and start the service. If not the simply run the new setup.

Now, what I want to know is:

1) How to deactivate the update question at the beginning of the setup?

2) How to determine whether there is already an older version of the service installed? And how to define what to do in which case?

3) How to stop and deinstall a service out of the setup? InstallUtil -u ?

Thank you in advance.
Greetings
Jan
blink.gif

Edited by asSiDeluxE!, 20 June 2005 - 10:59.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 17:39

1) This is a setting in the Upgrades view of the IDE.
2) In case of a Small update (ProductCode unchanged) the Installed property is false if the software hasn't been installed before and is true if (the previous version of) the software is already present. In case of a Major Upgrade (ProductCode has changed) you can use the upgrade settings to detect a different product (= different ProductCode = previous version) with the same UpgradeCode is present.
3) For a Win32 service go to the Advanced setting of the service component. there you can specify to stop the service, update the executeable, then start it again.