This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Un-compressing .msi file

4 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 16:29

Hi all
Is there any exe which would un-compress a compressed .msi file.
i am not able to find any help. I went through the msiexec /a command which would do un-compression but that is not i want.

is there any tool which does the same thing while creating a patch the installshield patch genaration wizard would do when given any compressed msi file (i asks for path where it would un -compress the compressed msi file)

thanks in advance
sarfu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:20

I went through the msiexec /a command which would do un-compression but that is not i want.

So what DO you want then? Maybe I don't understand your problem.

vijaybr

vijaybr
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:37

thanks for kind reply stefan

the problem with the msiexec /a command is i can't mention the path where it should un-compress my .msi file, in fact it pops up a dialog asking for the path where it can un-compress it. But since i am tyring to build the patch with the script and no UI what so ever ( command line) i am not able to mention the msiexec /a msiname.msi the path where it should un compress. It throws up command line parameters dialog what are the legal commands

but with msiexec /a there is no third parameter to mention the path where it should un-compress the .msi file. Please correct me if i am wrong. or is there a way to give parameter so that it can un-compress the .msi file in desired location.

thanks in advance
sarfu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 17:53

Try this:

msiexec.exe /a your.msi TARGETDIR=C:\whatever\you\want /q

where /q makes the action silent.

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:30

Thanks for kind reply stefan
It really did work.

but one thing i observed is i cant give the relative path in TARGETDIR. but this can be done by other means.

the silent un-compression is happening fantastically. thanks once again
sarfu