This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Appending registry values

6 replies to this topic

ET123

ET123
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 14:39

ph34r.gif Our registry values are stored in the Classpath, now if there are anyy other registry values in that classpath for some reason we delete them. is there a way to just add our class path to what ever else migh be there

jlai

jlai
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 19:20

has anyone found an answer to the above question?

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 16:21

Rules for inserting strings into the registry

* If the value contains the sequence tilde [~], then the value is interpreted as a Null-delimited list of strings (REG_MULTI_SZ). For example, to specify a list containing the three strings a, b and c, use "a[~]b[~]c".
* The sequence [~] within the value separates the individual strings and is interpreted and stored as a Null character.
* If a [~] precedes the string list, the strings are to be appended to any existing registry value strings. If an appending string already occurs in the registry value, the original occurrence of the string is removed.
* If a [~] follows the end of the string list, the strings are to be prepended to any existing registry value strings. If a prepending string already occurs in the registry value, the original occurrence of the string is removed.
* If a [~] is at both the beginning and the end or at neither the beginning nor the end of the string list, the strings are to replace any existing registry value strings.
* Otherwise, the value is interpreted and stored as a string (REG_SZ).

Full information on the registry table can be found at:
http://msdn.microsof...istry_table.asp

jlai

jlai
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 16:24

Can I use these notations when I use the registry editor in .NET setup project, or do I use these notations using orca editor?

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 20:07

I don't use a .NET setup project, so I really couldn't tell you. I assume that the value you put in is copied straight into the database, but I would also verify it by hand.

jlai

jlai
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 20:12

Yes, but there is a _Component field, which refers to ID in component table. I don't know how to generate a new ID, if it is needed. If not, which component ID is it correspond to in the Component table.
I've done some googling, but haven't come up with a good example to illustrate this situation.
Is there any other free tool that is easy to use?

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 21:44

build the .msi using visual studio, then open it up in orca and view if it copies the information exactly, if so then you can use the vs ide to append registry values, if not I would just set up a post build script that adds it