This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is it upgrading?

2 replies to this topic

dominic.chen_flukenetworks

dominic.chen_flukenetworks
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:53

Only changes between diffrenct builds is the modification of files(such as dll, exe files).

If I aready install the build of 1.0.315, I don't uninstall it, and install the build of 1.0.318 derectly. Intallshield propmt to upgrade, but after install, only part of files is updated in installation folder.

Some dll version changes, they always have the version of 1.0.0.0, or have some other fix version of 12.2.8.0.

Some dll version changes accoding to build number.

At the result, all dlls which have the fixed version wasn't updated.

How to change this behavior?

Edited by dominic.chen_flukenetworks, 21 August 2013 - 09:03.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:08

Well, the short answer is: use the version numbers correctly.

I mean: this is the whole purpose of file version numbers - letting Windows detect which one is newer. If the files use the same version number you defeat the purpose.

If you really really need to keep file versions unchanged, then you could set the "always overwrite" flag, which of course also allows downgrades of files.

Caveat: You may encounter other problems if you try to tweak the versioning system, which is at the core of Windows Installer.

So I beg you to please please do the right thing and increment your file versions. :)

Grumpiest_Cat

Grumpiest_Cat
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:43

I have to agree. Do not use the "always overwrite" flag. We actually had a fiasco using this flag. I can't remember all the details but I believe it creates a whole host of problems in rollback scenarios.