This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to insist .msi to run from setup.exe

6 replies to this topic

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:08

I am using IS 12 and have a basic msi project.

I want to insist .msi setup to only run from setup.exe. So customer should be able to install software only by clicking on setup.exe and he should receive error message "please install from setup.exe" when he clicks on .msi file.

Please let me know where should i do the setings for above.

Thank you for your help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:08

There are a number of options:
- Package the .msi file inside the setup.exe (media type: network, create setup.exe, compress all files)
- Create a launch condition that uses the SETUPEXEDIR property:
SETUPEXEDIR Or Installed
(use Or Installed to make sure that uninstall and other maintenance operations will always work)

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 16:10

Thanks Stefan

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:14

Hi Stefan,

Is there a way to do the same thing if cusomer click on ".msi" and application is already installed.

Currently if application is already installed, clicking on ".msi" will say ..please go to control panel to remove the applicatoin

if application is already installed, clicking on "setup.exe" will open a maintenance dialox box.

There is no consistency.

So is there a way to force .msi to say please use setup.exe....if application is alreay installed.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thank You,

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:15

Currently if application is already installed, clicking on ".msi" will say ..please go to control panel to remove the applicatoin
I don't think tius is the default behaviour, but something you put in.

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 19:22

Thanks Stefan. Is there a way to force uninstallation only through setup.exe or from control panel but not from .msi.

If customer click on .msi, when application is already installed, it should say "please use setup.exe"

It works fine as per your suggestion you provided earlier if the application is not already installed.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 19:58

Not sure I understand this question. Do you mean you want to change the behaviour of a setup that you have already shipped to the customer?