This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

run an exe at the reboot of uninstall

4 replies to this topic

bartoli

bartoli
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 08:26

Hello,
I'm blocked for one week on the the following problem :
I need to run a dll function just after the reboot of my
uninstallation and I don't know how to :
- set the right condition in the sequence
- set the right position of my CA in the sequence

Can anybody help me on this point ? Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 12:32

How do you perform the reboot? ScheduleReboot, ForceReboot, ...?

bartoli

bartoli
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 13:11

I perform a schedule reboot

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 17:33

ScheduleReboot performs a reboot at the end of setup. After that, setup is finished, i.e. no custom actions can run.
You have two options: use ForceReboot - this will reboot immediately and continue setup after the reboot.
Add a registry entry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce to launch your executable after the reboot.

Gripper4Hire

Gripper4Hire
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 22:47

One note about the 'RunOnce' registry key...

Be careful with its usage... It is a little known fact that if a Software INF install performs any actions... the RunOnce key is also run automatically (as a method for the INF file to start applications...).

It is also a little known fact that the RunOnce key only runs "each" item at a time before continuing to the next item.

This was causing an interesting problem for us in that we installed some system services DURING the installation using an INF file... However, in the OLD 1.1 ISWI engine, if it asked for reboot (after updating the MSI engine at the begining of Setup), the ISWI Setup.exe put its entry in the RunOnce section before the system restarted...

When the system restarted, the ISWI setup ran perfectly... But, when the INF file during the install needed to do it's job... the INF installer would hang because the MSI installer was still waiting to be completed!

Installshield fixed this in 1.5 (it still adds the run-time after reboot to RunOnce, but the setup completes asychronously with the rest of the MSI package, leaving RunOnce empty!)...