This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1706 when re-running the installation

4 replies to this topic

beginner123

beginner123
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:22

Hi,
I have an install script based project. I added a merge module to it (using the Merge Module Holder object). My installation works fine on a workstation that has never had it installed. It also works just fine on workstations that had a previous version installed (previous versions didn't have this new merge module).
The problem comes up when I run this installation project on the same machine a second time. The installation progress goes well until it gets to installing this merge module. At some point during the installation of the merge module an error message comes up saying "Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product". I tried looking up information on this and found an article on Microsoft support site, but it didn't help much. If I completely un-install my product and re-install the error message does not appear.

I'm out of ideas. Please help. I'm using InstallShield 10.5.

Thank you.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:07

Looks like it's trying to update or overwrite the files from the merge module. For this it may require the previuos installation source, i.e. the .msi file that the merge module holder object generated. Since this was packaged inside your previous setup it's not available. Can you set the object to never overwrite?

beginner123

beginner123
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 19:06

Hi, Stephan.
Where would I set this setting? Is this a merge module holder object property or is this set for a feature? Or is this in the merge module itself?

Thank you.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 14:51

I'm not familiar with the merge module holder object, therefore I don't know if there's such a setting. If there is, then it should be in the holder object.

beginner123

beginner123
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 17:27

Hi,
I think I got it figured out. In the Merge Module Holder object there's a property called "Cache the Msi Package Locally". I set that on and it seems to help. I'm still testing but so far it appears to have fixed my problem.

Thank you!