This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files not delivered

6 replies to this topic

Raam

Raam
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 14:27

All,

In my project I have a screen where there's an edit box through which I capture a directory path, lets say I store it in a variable BINDIR.

Now my msi should deliver certain files to INSTALLDIR and certain files to BINDIR.

How do I acheive this?, how the entry for BINDIR should look in the directory table?

Note: BINDIR is entered by the user during installation, it may be any where on the target machine

Its really very urgent for me to acheive this, any immediate help would be appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 22:01

When you create your components use BINDIR as target. In driectory table you could have BINDIR with INSTALLDIR as parent and . as default dir. As a result BINDIR will be the same path as INSTALLDIR by default until the user changes it.

Raam

Raam
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:34

Stefan,

Thanks for your reply,

Let me explain more about my ISM and my requirement.

BINDIR is not the exact folder name, its a property that will be holding the target folder path which is entered by the user during installation.

In the property manager, BINDIR is declared.

Say, I have 2 features (A & B) and two components linked to them.

Feature A files by default has to got to INSTALLDIR (I dnt have any problems with this),
Feature B files has to go to the path thats supplied by the property BINDIR (which is obtained from the user), also till the point when user enters the path, feature B files will not know where its destination is.

Let me know whether this is clear for you to suggest me something.

Raam

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:49

BINDIR shouldn't be in the property table. It should be (needs to be) in the Directory table. Diretory table entries automatically convert to properties during the Costing stanfard actions. You must set a default destination for the feature B components in Directory table, even if you change it later based on user input.

Raam

Raam
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:39

Stefan,

Thanks for your reply,

In the screen where the user enters the path in the edit field, I am storing that in the property BINDIR. If I dont declare it in the property table, will it still hold the value of the user input path?

Raam

Raam

Raam
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 14:17

Stefan,

I deleted BINDIR in the property manager,

In the directory table I had set like this
Directory: BINDIR
Parent_DIR: INSTALLDIR
DefaultDIR: .

When I build this and install the msi, the feature B files goes to INSTALLDIR eventhough I give someother path at the user input path screen.

Just curious, do we need to have create folders by giving entries in the CreateFolders table?

Any other suggestion will be of great help, its an very high priority for me now

Raam

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 15:34

Try this: Save the path your users enter to BINPATH, which should be in the Property Table. Set up the default BINDIR in the Directory Table. After CostFinalize, use the Set a Directory custom action type to set BINDIR to the value of BINPATH.

Hope this helps. (It may not be the simplest way, but I have done this so I know it works.)
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com