This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall after major Upgrade

3 replies to this topic

urizn

urizn
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:27

Hi all,

I'm using Instalshield 11 but I'm pretty sure this is an msi specific thing I'm doing wrongly.

I created a major upgrade which works fine, however uninstalling the product from the ARP leaves a few components behind. Specifically the dlls built and added as [VS project name].Primary Output.

This only becomes a problem if, for whatever reason, the user tries to install the old version of the product which will cause an error I'm assuming because the newer versions of the files are already present.

My last resort solution is to just delete the INSTALLDIR if it is detected via a custom action, but i was hoping for a less hackified solution.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:18

Are the files that remain after uninstall set as permanent components or shared components? If the files are installed to the same location by both versions, are the component GUIDs the same for these files in both versions?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

urizn

urizn
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 15:07

they are set as shared components but the guids between versions are not the same.
Is this the problem?

urizn

urizn
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 18:14

in another interesting twist, I set the sharing on the components to be no and this fixes the problem for the virtual machines but not for actual computers

the verbose logs for the unistall show them setting the action for respective files as NULL.
Can someone tell why would this happen.