This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Emailing from InstallShield

7 replies to this topic

ejknight_home

ejknight_home
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 21:22

IS Gurus,

Is there a way to send an email from an 6.3.1 professional I/S project? If so, how?

I have created a custom install log and now, I would like to have the ability to email the completed log at the end of the install automatically.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,
Eric

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 02:05

Uh oh, watch out people, it's spyware.  Unless this is done internally, many of your users would frawn upon such actions.

How about just keeping the log around, so if need be, technical support et al can reference it.

---

To answer your question though nothing like this is built directly into IS.  However, you may be able to find some sample code along these lines which you can make use of.  Although I think the best you'll probably be able to do something like use the associated mailto: application.
user posted image

ejknight_home

ejknight_home
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 16:27

:)  No, I can assure you this is all internal.

It is being done for two reasons.  One, because our site coordinators are lying (saying they are installing the Maintenance Releases that corporate is mandating) and we need proof that they installed it or not, and two, because if they know where the log is, they have a tendency to change/manipulate the log.

Thanks for you reply!

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 13:34

(sorry, this is no answer but an urgent call, too)

Once my setup has finished, it has to send a feature key to our support center. They will send an unlock key back to make the required features work.

So I am in need of activating the e-mail client. This shall be transparent to the user, of course. The problem is: how to invoke an e-mail-client on the machine, how to hand over some text (address, subject, generated features-key? The user himself should submit this prepared mail.

Thanks for any hints.

Eberhard

tycoates

tycoates
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 06:11

Find some VB code that creates a MAPI object and use it.  That would require that the client machine have a MAPI client on board I believe.  Anyway... I'm not sure about the recieving email part.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:45

Yes, unfortunately using MAPI would indeed require the client to have it installed and enabled.  Therefore it certainly won't also be accessible.  Even when it is, it is not the robust method of e-mail integration.
user posted image

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 13:25

You can go to WWW.CodeProject.Com and get some C/C++ source code for a simple SMTP client.
Integrate that source code into a stand-alone DLL.
Then call the functions from InstallScript that are inside the DLL to send and receive the e-mail.
You will not need MAPI or anything else but TCI/IP running to get the e-mail sent and received.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 14:27

Yeah, that would really be the way to do it BMW.  Good idea.
user posted image