This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

inner workings of msxml4 msm's

2 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 21:27

does anyone know why there are two MSXML4 msm's a "sys" and a "sxs".

why didn't they just put the functionality of both into one msm?

how does the "sxs" work?

when i do an upgrade of my product over an older version, msxml4 always has to run an additional configuration step when i try to launch my product.

so i install an old version of my product (which uses msxml4)
upgrade to new version of my prodcuct (still using msxml4)
install completes and i click on the desktop icon to launch my product.
install starts up again (advertised icon) and runs before my product launches.

in the logfile i see that msxml is doing some conifgurations with the manifest and .cat files. can someone tell me what these are all about?

thanks.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 23:15

I don't have all the information here, but I do belive the sxs is a side-by-side installation folder for win32 files available on Windows XP and above. Hence it allows multiple versions of the files to be installed at the same time. I am not sure how this works in detail.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:33

Actually I think Microsoft released 3 merge modules. One that includes both, and two for sys and sxs separately. But you sys and sxs cannot be used seoparately, they always have to be inlcuded together. I think the complete module is a newer version.