This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation Process Question

2 replies to this topic

Th.M

Th.M
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:43

Hello,

I am pretty new with Installshield and have to perform a silent installation of an .exe file. As /s does not work for the complete package, I did an unzip of the application.exe and got its content. Some cab’s, a setup.exe and an setup.iss. Doing a /s to the setup.exe works.

The problem is, the user shall be able to choose the install dir during installation.

My approach:
- Building a “top level” installer wrapping the application installation
- Showing path dialog and catch INSTALLDIR.
- Copy the unzipped files to the target system
- Modify the setup.iss file
- Run setup.exe with /s
- Delete the copied installation files
- Hide entry of my top level installer (which asks for the path) within Add / Remove Programs using ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1 (got this "trick" from a different post).

So far so good…
But if I re-run the installer, a “Remove”, “Modify” and “Repair” dialog is displayed, which I do not need/want. The installer knows that it has already been executed.

What I need:
I just want the installer to run “as it is has never been executed before”. As the installer itself just triggers a second installer (which I haven’t build) and run its installation silently, there is no need to have any uninstall information of the “top level” installer.

I had the idea to look for the reg entry of the application which installation has been triggered by the installer, and if present, abort the installation showing the message “App already present, use the Add/Remove Programs panel to remove it”….

Any Help, comments and ideas a welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

P.S. sry for the long introduction of the problem, hope YOU get the point smile.gif

Edited by Th.M, 29 May 2008 - 09:58.

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 19:27

Disable these Standard MSI Actions:

RegisterUser
RegisterProduct
PublishFeatures
PublishProduct

The installer would NOT register itself (and the installed features) on the target system, You would NOT be able to use the Uninstall and next time you run setup.exe, it would run “as it is has never been executed before” :-)

more info:
http://shieldmaster....multiple-times/

-Morteza

Th.M

Th.M
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 16:20

Hi Morteza,

thanks for your replay!
I will try this first thing tomorrow morning smile.gif

- Thomas