This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge Module and Patch Question

7 replies to this topic

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 15:49

If I have a main MSI file

Install.MSI

An optional MSM file

Feature.MSM

Which I may merge with Install.MSI during the installation, and I later relase an update

Update.MSP

can a patch generated from

Install-1.MSI and Install-2.MSI without Feature.MSM merged in work regardless of whether Feature.MSM is merged into the Install.MSI on the target machine?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 20:55

Merge Modules are merged at build time, not at install time.
Patches should be created for small or minor updates. For these update types you cannot remove components from the msi. Your msi without msm is missing the msm components, so the msm components will be seen as "removed".
So I think the answer is No.

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 22:36

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping that I maybe had a solution. My ultimate goal is this:

I have an installation package PACK,
Inside of PACK I have features
A
B
C
D
A is always required
Only one of B, C, and D are required, and usually only one of each is needed

I want to have an installer that installs A, B, C, and or D based on user input. If a feature is to be installed, it will be downloaded (or the appropriate patch) from the web and installed. If a feature is not installed it will not be downloaded. Obviously this is only useful if B, C, or D is not selected (as is usually the case and B, C, and D are all quite large).

It is beginning to appear that my best option is to have seperate MSI files for each and B, C, and D should install silently or embedded. Is there another way to accomplish this without embedded installs?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:05

If you build your media as multiple CAB files, e.g. one per feature, and run your install from the web site (http source) then it should only download the CABs for the features that are selected for installation.

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 13:28

AWESOME, thanks a lot, I will try this immediately.

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 16:24

I'm looking for information on installing from the web site, but I haven't been able to find anything yet. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:12

Here's the documentation in the Platform SDK:
http://msdn.microsof...he_internet.asp

_nick_

_nick_
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 13:39

Thanks, I'll work with this some. I was really hoping for something where the MSI could be downloaded, and it would download the CAB files as needed. It doesn't appear that this is supported by MSI tho. Thanks for all your help again.