This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component remains after uninstallation on Vista

3 replies to this topic

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 13:58

Hello everybody,

I am experiencing strange problem.
Uninstallation of my prouduct that consists of several components leaves files of one of the component behind on Vista. On XP all files get removed properly after uninstallation.
All components in my InstallShield 12 project have the same properties:
no conditions, not shared (no entries in Shared Dlls as well), not permanent, not recalculate condition, and so on.

Does anybody have suggestion what could be the reason of such malfunction?

Thank you.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 14:29

Does a log of the uninstall give any hints?

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:28

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-08-22 14:29)
Does a log of the uninstall give any hints?

At the moment not sad.gif
I don't see any files of that component being removed.
And I don't see there either any entries of the Component GUID or Directory GUID.
Although for other components that get deleted correctly I am not able to find much entries either.

I have one "artificial" entry in the RemoveFiles table which is there in order to remove particular file of the given component. That helped before to remove a file that was left over after failed product's older version uninstallation.
Could that be a reason?

After having a lot of bad experience with InstallShield I can expect also that it simply scrumbles a project file and the reason is in the buggy InstallShield (I have seen such ugly things already in IS).
I would prefer not to recreate a project from scratch.

RothmansUA

RothmansUA
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 15:36

Well, looks I have found the reason.

Seems that previous failed test installations on that particular Vista PC caused orphaned components entries in the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\...
After I have manually removed corresponding keys there I was able to completely remove my product by uninstallation again.

This hint was described here
http://www.appdeploy...ble.asp?m=27079

Interesting how could that happen at all that the component remained in registry after uninstallation?
Could that be because of the incorrect upgrade?