This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Uninstall

7 replies to this topic

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:58

Does anyone knows how to do the silent uninstall for add/remove program? I'm using Wise project.

Thank you so much!

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:19

It's nothing to do with Wise per se. Look up the command line switches for the Windows Installer executable, MSIEXEC.EXE.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

N Thomas

N Thomas
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:08

Open regedit

Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProductCode>\UninstallString

Edit the data by appending /QB at the end
eg: Msiexec /X <ProductCode> /QB

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:56

I tried to modify the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProductCode>\UninstallString and appended it with /QB. However, removing it from Add/Remove program and clicking the "Remove" button still prompting me with a message box asking about "Are you sure you want to remove <Application> from your computer?"

I was able to implement this in Wise using the Commandline page. But you have to use the link to uninstall it silently.

If there is a way to uninstall it in the Add/Remove program without displaying any message box when "remove" button is selected by just modifying the registry values in Uninstall.

Please. I really appreciate. Thank you so much.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 14:37

I think that requesting a user's confirmation when clicking the Remove button is common practice. Why would you want to avoid this?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 16:07

I think '/QN' would serve its purpose but I agree, I wouldn't use that option from ARP, as it's not entirely unknown for users to click the wrong button occasionally.

Edited by VBScab, 24 November 2008 - 16:08.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

badzoy07

badzoy07
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:02

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to suppress the remove message box since we're doing a silent install and they wanted to have silent uninstall as well.

Appending /QN in the Uninstall of registry still shows the message box. Do we have any alternative here?

Thanks again.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:24

- Remove the ARP entry
- Create an 'Uninstall [application name]' shortcut with the appropriate command-line and have your users execute that. Of course, this assumes your users have uninstall rights/elevated privileges.