This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Quiet (silent) install problem

6 replies to this topic

Squiglee

Squiglee
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 20:27

I have and use Express but this problem is a Windows issues (I think).

For the last three or so weeks, all installs or uninstalls run in the silent or quiet mode (no prompts). This is very annoying.

It does not matter what program or application the install is for. For example, when I test a product I put out that uses Installshield, the entire install runs without any prompts. AND if I install someone else's software or uninstall another app, the install or uninstall runs without a prompt INCLUDING a reboot without my permission if a reboot is necessary to complete the process.

I have searched for a solution but am stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:35

Is this only on your machine??

This sounds very weird. Maybe something has changed with your windows installer setttings? have a look at gpedit.msc

Also, you could try logging the install, and see what the log says about the install settings.

Squiglee

Squiglee
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:00

Hi and thanks for the note.

It is only on my machine. Odd. There is nothing I can see in gpedit.msc under the installer that seems odd.

If in enable verbose logging there is a line near the top of the log:

MSI © (B8:E4): Cloaking enabled.

that seems suspicious.

I have attached the log for anyone to take a look at. It does not matter what I try to install, no dialogs ever after the "gathering required information" box...

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 22:07

I think this is your problem:

MSI © (B8:E4): Command Line: SETUPEXEDIR=D:\Piscataqua Research\PR Inc\S&P Study\Pension Assets and Returns\For Distribution\CD Image CURRENTDIRECTORY=D:\Piscataqua Research\PR Inc\S&P Study\Pension Assets and Returns\For Distribution\CD Image CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=2744

Looks like your setup is running from a self extracting package created with InstallShield. Maybe you specified that CLIENTUILEVEL=0 in the self extractor?

Squiglee

Squiglee
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 13:58

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your note. What is odd is that ANY install runs completely invisibly. That is, it does not matter if I created the install or it is from an outside source. For example, I just installed a commercial version of Panda anitvirus and the entire installation proceeded without any prompts or dialog boxs at all. I can hear the hard drive churning and indeed the installation is succesful and normal EXCEPT that I am not presented with any of the ususal dialogs (licence, readme, path, options, etc.). This has been true for any intallation and any software for about the last 3 or so weeks...

Perhaps there is a flag or Reg setting somewhere in Windows that sets all installs as silent...?

Very odd. I have searched the web for similar problems but have not located any other threads that had addressed this issue.

Bill Strauss

Edited by Squiglee, 21 July 2004 - 13:59.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 14:51

I don't really think it can be an issue, but are there any command lines defined for the .msi file association in the registry?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 16:06

This might as well be some policy setting, either on the local machine, or in the domain.