This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Urgent nested MSI problem

2 replies to this topic

Mark Cook

Mark Cook
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 12:16

I'm implementing a product that requires a second product to be installed first. When I remove my product, I want to also remove the second product.
I've attempted to do this using a type 39 CA with the following parameters:
Type: 39
Source: {GUID}
Target: REMOVE=ALL

I added this to the execute sequence immediately after InstallValidate.

When I uninstall my product however, this action fails with an error 2713. Using RegMon I looked at the registry activity during the uninstall process and it never attempted to read the registry value (HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\Uninstall\{GUID}) for the component I wish to remove. I tried modifying the GUID to be incorrect but this simply generated the same error so I suspect it's not even getting this far.

Tims's running out on this project and any assistance would be most welcome.

David Bajgar

David Bajgar
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 08:50

It is strange. I use the same action and without problems. How do you install the second project?
Try to browse the msi file of your second product into the Source item instead the GUID. Did you insert the CA with the REMOVE=”ALL” (with quotes) condition?

Mark Cook

Mark Cook
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 09:00

Hi David
I think the reason I was consistently getting this error code was because my test machine was in a bad state from a previous uninstall. Having suspected this to be the case, I removed my custom action from the sequence completely but still received the same error.

It now calls the uninstall for the child product which seems partially successful in that it uninstalls some (but not all) features of the child. The child itself successfully uninstalls one of its own children using this same technique. I'm not sure why the whole product isn't uninstalled though. If I uninstall it from the command line it works OK