This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Logging after reboot?

4 replies to this topic

uljo2

uljo2
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:20

Hi,

I start a uninstallation of my product with the verbose log option. It will find that a file is in use and ask me to reboot when uninstall is finished .

If I understand it right, it will not add anything to the log after the reboot? (I'm I right?)

Is it possibe to get a log of what "msi engine" is doing after the reboot?

When does the "msi engine" execute in a normal reboot sequence? Is it before logging on to system or after?

BR Ulf

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 15:46

QUOTE (uljo2 @ 2008-04-25 11:20)
Hi,
If I understand it right, it will not add anything to the log after the reboot?

Correct, nothing will be added because the WI engine has completed its work right before the reboot.

Is it possibe to get a log of what "msi engine" is doing after the reboot?
As above, the engine's work is done once the reboot occurs. If you wanted to log what work occured between reboot and start-up, use a lightweight snapshot tool e.g. Ziff-Davis's In Control.

When does the "msi engine" execute in a normal reboot sequence? Is it before logging on to system or after?

That depends on how your MSIs are deployed. If via Group Policy, SMS, Radia or the like, per-machine installs occur once the machine can be seen on the network. Per-user installs will, by definition, not take place until a user logs on to the domain.

Edited by VBScab, 25 April 2008 - 15:49.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

uljo2

uljo2
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 16:54

Thanks for help.

As above, the engine's work is done once the reboot occurs.

Is it some sort of standard windows functions that do the pending removal of files after reboot and not the msi-engine?

That depends on how your MSIs are deployed. If via Group Policy, SMS, Radia or the like, per-machine installs occur once the machine can be seen on the network. Per-user installs will, by definition, not take place until a user logs on to the domain.

Ok, it is a stand alone msi (exe in my case actually) that i execute on my computer, then reboot.

When l log on there is autostart in registry "CurrentVersion\Run" that executes an application. Can I be sure that this one executes after the scheduled removal? (There is a chance that the file is locked by the autostarted program when it is about to be removed)

/Ulf

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:03

QUOTE (uljo2 @ 2008-04-25 15:54)

Is it some sort of standard windows functions that do the pending removal of files after reboot and not the msi-engine?

Ok, it is a stand alone msi (exe in my case actually) that i execute on my computer, then reboot.

When l log on there is autostart in registry "CurrentVersion\Run" that executes an application. Can I be sure that this one executes after the scheduled removal? (There is a chance that the file is locked by the autostarted program when it is about to be removed)

/Ulf

Yes, it's the PendingFileRename operation.

I'm not sure what you mean in your reply (I appreciate that English isn't your first language, BTW) so let me try and work it out.

I *think* what you are asking is if there's a means by which you can see if a file is locked by a process and, if so, to kill that process in order to unlock, thus avoiding the reboot. There's no way I can think of to test for locked files but you could simply test for the process being executed using a WMI-based script. If the process *is* running, you can either kill it programmatically (again, using a WMI method) or prompt the user to close the application.

There are many, many examples of WMI process-handling scripts around.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:35

I think that "peding rename operations" are executed before RunOnce but I'm not sure. You would have to double check the MSDN documentation.