This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DeleteServices rollback bug?

3 replies to this topic

catrill

catrill
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 15:19

I have been searching installshield and microsoft knowledge bases etc but not found any record of this problem.

I have a service that is dependent on rpcss. When the service is installed correctly, at HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MyService in the registry you find the value DependOnService which is "rpcss". Next I uninstall or repair the installation, but hit the cancel button after the service is stopped and deleted. The roll back correctly recreated the service, except the DependOnService value in the registry is set to "rpcs". Now my service cannot be started... because you cannot start the non-existent service "rpcs"

Make your service dependent on more than one other and the situation is worse. The registry value "rpcss\0seclogon\0\0" was after rollback "rpcss\0\se\0\0"

Is this a known bug? Is there any workaround/fix?

Thanks

Alice

Oogle

Oogle
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 18:34

I have the exact same bug with my uninstall rollbacks. The way I worked around this bug was to write a custom action in C++ that would:
- Backup the existing dependencies in immediate mode through custom action data.
- Recreate the dependency using that same custom action data during the rollback sequence.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:12

This sounds like a bug in the Windows Installer engine, although I haven't seen it documented anywhere. I suggest you report it to Microsoft to see if they confirm it and fix it in a future version.

catrill

catrill
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 17:58

I reported this bug to Microsoft yesterday; they are still working on it. Watch out for further postings on the outcome.