This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing new version after uninstalling old

2 replies to this topic

aniket

aniket
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:49

Hi all,

I'm facing quiet a similar problem to what mayurkotlikar was facing.

I have a version 1.1 which is already with the user. Now I have developed version 1.2.

Now the new installer should:

1) Detect whether the version 1.1 is present on that system.
2) If present, start with the uninstall of version 1.1
3) After uninstalling the entire application, automatically start with the installation of the new version 1.2.

Observer here that for the new version 1.2 to function there has to be no trace of 1.1 left on the system. Basically, 1.2 has a totally new architecture with new files which can clash with the components of 1.1 with dire consequences. Hence, a 're-install' of the new version over the old would not be possible here.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking time out to read this.

Regards,
ANIKET.

mayurkotlikar

mayurkotlikar
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:24

I got the solution for that; putting it here in case if somebody needs it:
1. I used the same GUID as the earlier installer.
2. I added the inbuilt ComponentReinstall() to OnMaintUIBefore().
3. Since the GUID is same for the installer and i have incrementing the major version, i get the Maintenance UI, where i am askd to upgrade from 5.x to 6.X.

If is select to upgrade then the previous installation is removed and 6.X installed and since the 5.x files stil in running, i am propted to reboot.

It worked for me!!

mayurkotlikar

mayurkotlikar
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:26

I got the solution for that; putting it here in case if somebody needs it:
1. I used the same GUID as the earlier installer.
2. I added the inbuilt ComponentReinstall() to OnMaintUIBefore().
3. Since the GUID is same for the installer and i have incrementing the major version, i get the Maintenance UI, where i am askd to upgrade from 5.x to 6.X.

If is select to upgrade then the previous installation is removed and 6.X installed and since the 5.x files stil in running, i am propted to reboot.

It worked for me!!