This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

dynamic folders and upgrades

1 reply to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:58

It's been a while since I've been here. smile.gif

I've been asked to add a feature to a simple install that we have. It's basically a package that installs a firmware file to a specific location so that our software can pick it up and do its thing. It uses the dynamic file feature because every build the file name is changed to match the build number. A strange thing that the product owner wanted is to remove the ability to uninstall. When a customer gets a new version of this install, it will perform a minor upgrade and install the new file alongside the older one. This has been working now for months.

My job was to add a set of third party license agreement txt files in a folder that roughly matches the firmware build number. The folder is already generated for me so I added a new component with a dynamic file link so that it will grab the folder and all .txt files. It works, in that on a new installation, the firmware file and folder are deployed correctly. The problem is that if this is an upgrade, the GUI seems to run through just fine, but neither the firmware file nor folder are deployed. I can't seem to make heads or tails of this. Any suggestions?

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:49

Please generate a log file of the update install (I recommend the registry method described at http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm) and look for SELMGR errors in the log.