This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

About nonversion file's overwrite

4 replies to this topic

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:57

MSI document says:
"If the Modified date is later than the Create date for the file on the computer, do not install the file because user customizations would be deleted. If the Modified and Create dates are the same, install the file. If the Create date is later than the Modified date, the file is considered unmodified, install the file."

I have some different installers with many same nonversion files, some installer built with Installshiled 6.3, some are Basic MSI. The files installed by 6.3 are all the Create date is later than the Modified date. Then I install the Basic MSI, these file are wrong replaced.

All I need is using Modified date to be the rule of overwrite.

Except using Basic MSI to build all these installers, Is there anything can help me to deal with this problem?

Thanks.

Edited by xinjiang, 17 September 2008 - 08:08.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 16:10

Based in the file versioning rules you quoted, this is expected behaviour. I you never want to overwrite these files, make the the key file of a component and set the component to "never overwrite".

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:36

Thank Stefan, But I need overwrite them with the Modified date and ignored the Create Date.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:02

Windows Installer can't do that out of the box. You could use a custom action to perform your date comparison and delete the existing files if you want to overwrite them.

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:42

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2008-09-18 11:02)
Windows Installer can't do that out of the box. You could use a custom action to perform your date comparison and delete the existing files if you want to overwrite them.

I see. Thanks.