This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Assigning icons to shortcuts

1 reply to this topic

christian.herger

christian.herger
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:54

Hi

Sorry but I don't know whether I'm in the correct forum or not.

We work with InstallShield 2012 Premier Edition (Version 18).
I use an existing project for our next product release and unfortunately no one remembers how to assign icons to shortcuts.
I tried to copy an existing shortcut icon entry
'Icon File <WindowsFolder>\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A94000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico'
But this folder of course does not exist anymore as it for sure is created by the Installer itself.
I can find the desired Icon in 'C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A95000000001}' (difference: a 5 instead of a 4).
I needed to update the project before I could start working as we upgraded from 2011 to 2012 edition.
I don't know if this has something to do with it but I just refuse to believe that I have to correct ALL shortcut icons to this newly created path????

Can you advise me with some best practise procedure to assign icons to shortcuts??

Thanks in advance and best regards
Christian Herger
maxon motor ag

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:06

Which project type are you using? (I guess: Basic MSI)

During instalaltion, Windows Installer copies icons to a cache folder like those you mention. But in your project, you shouldn't reference icons in that cache, but instead use the location where the icon is stored on your development machine. That doesn't have to be an .ico file, you can also specify an exe where InstallShield should extract the icon. The latter is InstallShield's default behaviour when you create a shortcut to an exe you are installing.