This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Run multiple msi in sequence

5 replies to this topic

lis_ck2000

lis_ck2000
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:49

i want to run several msi file one by one, and i don't want to write any code to do it. Any suggestion? i am trying to edit the setup.ini file coming with setup applicaiton. how can i do it?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:59

Admittedly I have never tried it, but couldn't you just use a batch file?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

thusithakd

thusithakd
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:26

I aslo need to run a MSI file as a child installation, either after the main installation or silently when the main installation is going on.

I've used LaunchApp funtion, but it doesn't succefully installed the MSI file.
Best Regards,

Thusitha

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:07

Windows Installer does not allow two concurrent InstalExecute sequences. If you want to install a child MSI you have to use the install child MSI custom action. This is a very poorly designed feature of windows installer and has a number of side effects (see http://forum.install...showtopic=10035 for a list of some issues).

It should however be possible to install to MSI files after each other. As far as I can imagine this could be done using a batch file (but as I said I have never tried it).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:01

If you go for a batch file, make sure that the first one will never require a reboot, since you won't be able to detect that. An alternative is always rebooting after the first install.
You can also create a VBS and use the "WindowInstaller.Installer" object, which allows you to install software as well, and detect reboots too.

vladb

vladb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 15:03

You can call msi-s one after the other in the command line. I tried it with a batch file and it worked. You can also set properties and do a lot of useful things automatically with a .bat file (e.g: c:>msiexec /i AnMSI.msi INSTALLDIR=c:\INST /qb). I think i read somewhere that it's possible to read if an msi needs reboot but I can't find that information anymore. Anyways, check out Command Line Options in the Windows Installer documentation for more info.

From an InstallScript you can use LaunchAppAndWait to launch the different msi with the appropriate arguments.

I'm also investigating this because I'm trying to build a main installscript-only project for the user interface which configures and calls a lot of msis to be installed automatically.